A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 320,816
Currently Running With Scissors:
219 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gung Haggis Fat Choy!  (Read 929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

ladolcerita
« on: January 10, 2006 02:10:31 PM »

This will probably strike a great many of you as incredibly bizarre, BUT...
Chinese New Year and Robbie Burns Day tend to fall very close together, and in my hometown of Vancouver it's become somewhat of  tradition to celebrate both events in one: Scottish-Chinese fusion! Even for folks that belong to neither cultural group.

I am living in Edinburgh right now, so the Scottish element of this is a no-brainer. It's the Chinese angle that poses a challenge. I've never really had any call to make Chinese dishes at home (stir-fries aside) because I lived next door to Chinatown and would just toodle over and collect a bunch of goodies and decorations.

Although I haven't got much time I am thinking of hosting a very small gathering of this sort (to the extreme puzzlement and amusement of the Scots I invite, I'm sure). Here's where you come in:

What do I cook? Not sure the restaurants will be a big help in this situation. Again, the whole Scottish element is quite amply covered (unless anyone out there has a fab recipe for something that combines both cultural elements in one dish - I am toying with the idea of "mini-haggises" that are actually potstickers...), so I am looking for cheap and easy decorating ideas and nibblies. I probably won't need to feed more than 6 people. Not looking for anything too major as I am a bit exhausted after all this Christmas business and just getting the flat back in order.

If you are from Edinburgh and can tell me where to get Chinese stuff (not food) - lanterns, lucky money, etc., please please please let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slackferno
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006 07:52:19 PM »

Er...deep fried chocolate coated fortune cookies?  (then again, fortune cookies are American, so lets not muddy the waters even further.)  All jokes aside, I really love neen gow (sticky sweet rice cake) and I'm betting it would be pretty good beer battered and fried.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006 09:04:23 PM »

Your subject line totally cracked me up!
Food is tricky. Dumplings and steamed buns are great, but they sort of take a lot of time to prepare if you don't have access to an asian supermarket. Scallion pancakes are a little easier, but still take time. Maybe stir-fry on skewers for party food? I've never been to scotland so I have no idea what sort of access you have to Chinese fare...
Easy decorating ideas--it's all about getting some bright red paper. You can make papercuts (like they used to have us do in kindergarten--fold the paper up and cut shapes out, then unfold for a beautiful snowflake-thing!), paint chinese characters on banners (zhongwen.com if you're chinese-illiterate like I am), and fold red envelopes to put (flat) party favors in. It's the year of the dog so you can run with that, too.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes down!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
Dramatrauma
The Broadsword of Moderation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006 09:19:24 PM »

This is like some twsited episode of the Naked Chef:"So Im using these lovely, sheep guts ,right,with a cracking hoi sun sauce!"

Year of the Scottie Dog!!!!!

Red Plaid and gold to decorate

Learn some traditional (translated) Chinese good luck wishes, memorize a couple Burns lines and have toasts while tasting appropriate liquors. In fact Mao wrote potery too and it might combine nicely on invites...or better yet a contest of "Who wrote it?" Read a few lines and have teams guess...losers must do a shot (or winners whichever you prefer)

Get some Chinese Red Envelopes (oriental trading.com which I believe ships international but search the .uk sites for a Chinese paraphenilia distributor as well) which are supposed to contain money but instead put in IOUs (cuz you know Scotmen dont part with money easily its a .... oh never mind)

Find out if lamb does stir fry well... a little plum sauce sesame seed and green onion (eleks might be more appropriate but I wonder as to taste) over noodles sounds tasty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...