A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 314,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
132 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Preserving a Potato?  (Read 2522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Panik
« on: January 09, 2006 12:10:33 AM »

Maybe some of you can help me!:

I have this potato I found, and it's shaped like a heart! I can't throw the thing away! I just can't. I need to make it into something. I was thinking about carving it out and making something like a shadow box inside, or some kind of weird little shrine, and painting the outside.

I know this sounds really weird. I can't let such an awesome find go to waste though...I found it in a dumpster for christsakes!

Big problem though, I don't know how to like...preserve the potato. Or seal it? So that is doesn't you know, rot. Is it even possible to do this? It seem like it should be.

HELP!

and because I know everyone's soooo interested, here's a picture!

so cute...someone help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006 01:46:50 AM »

haha that's great. We dug up a potato at christmas that looked like a baby Jesus, so of course the wooden baby Jesus was taken out of the little nativity scene and the potato baby Jesus put in it's place Tongue

I've asked my gardener father about preserving and alas, he sais he can't think of a way Huh Maybe someone else will come along and help you. The only thing I can think of is like a wet preserve, like in vinegar or whatever like preserved fruit or whatever...but I can see this going horribly wrong and mouldy so maybe not!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GingaNic

A poor MA student...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006 08:58:14 AM »

The only thing I can think of is using a clear resin and casting it into a paperweight or something...

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~ocID~2999~parentID~2972~categoryID~2970.htm

^Using something like that maybe? I'm not a big user of resin so you'll have to ask someone with more experience, I have casted before but never something as with such a large organic mass as a potato...

Seal the potato with fast drying acrylic spray first... (as it prevents air from escaping, which create bubbles in the cast because the potato will be porous..) then cast it in resin. Its the only thing I can think of..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006 08:59:53 AM by GingaNic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dooney
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006 08:59:47 AM »

cool potato... wish i could help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geobabe

I'm moving to Africa

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006 01:27:29 PM »

I would worry about all the water inside when casting or coating the potato...when I cast porous rocks I soak them first in acetone (which chases the water out of the pores) then drop it into resin, which can dissolve in the acetone and then penetrate into the pores.  The potato skin might prevent good impregnation but I suppose it's worth a try.  Of course I have no idea what the acetone might do to the potato... besides turn it into a volatile little bomb....

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GingaNic

A poor MA student...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006 02:07:49 PM »

I thought that too but since a potato has quite a high water content I would have thought that acetone would damage it too much??
Spraying with acrylic should seal the potato, thus any moisture should remain containted in the potato...

I dunno!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

micky
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006 11:42:45 PM »

The only thing that comes to mind is seeing it in a big jar of formeldahyde (i'm sure i spelled that wrong) ona shelf in your house... maybe next to a jar with a little two headed alien in it...

I'd worry about what the acetone would do to it, and I'm not sure if just sealing it would do the job.  The resin might work though, but thats coming from a resin virgin so...

You make me want to do research on this... what an awesome tater.

micky
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Panik
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006 10:56:04 AM »

well, right now it's sitting over a heater vent drying out(I don't have a dehydrator OR a working oven!). I hollowed it and the insides are turning black (it's been a few days...still not dry yet!). I was thinking about taking  ablow dryer to it to speed up the process but I'm not sure what good that would do.
Afterward I'll probably coat it in something and hope for the best!
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gnomon Mot
Miss Gnomon Mot

WORKSHED

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006 12:45:57 AM »

Heh.... I read potato, and I thought back to high school, when my step-mom called me the anomaly in the house, because I wanted a potato as a friend. So I went to school the next day with a potato in my hand, and said to everyone who would listen "Hi, I'm an anomaly. My best friend is a potato. His name is Frank. Say hi Frank!"

Consequently, my best friend at the time got really hurt and upset. She was silly.

But to the point of my story.... I kept that potato in my room for about 6 months, and then it grew roots, which my sister and I dubbed pimples, and then he became squishy, and I, quite heartbroken, threw him out....

So, if there is a way to preserve potatos, I do not know it. But I wish I did.

Sigh.

peep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pleasure is transient, and can only be experienced against a background of its absence.
aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006 01:03:56 AM »

your story made me giggle. glad i'm not the only one who does stuff like that!

that's a cute potato. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...