A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugh, I know, but does anyone have a recipe using venison?  (Read 2434 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006 08:18:12 PM »

I was raised on venison. My dad hunted and now my boyfriend hunts. I'm a country girl. My mom always cooked it like beef. It's decent in spagetti sauce too. I'm loosing my taste for it. After having moved out and eaten more beef, I've decided I like it better! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006 08:44:27 PM »

mm, venison, yum....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 2010 <3
I love my son!
<3 Ethan Orion - December 2015 <3
bigeyes
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006 10:30:33 PM »

Bex, sugarkitty, care to share a recipe?  I haven't made chili in so long I'm not sure I remember how!  I have a medical condition that causes memory lapses, so sometimes I'm reallllly forgetful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
sugarkitty
so cute it hurts...

so cute it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006 04:39:12 AM »

bigeyes, I'll PM you later with my recipe...I'm more than happy to share! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarkittycorsets.com ~ sugarstuff.com ~ sugarkitty.etsy.com
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006 09:43:52 AM »

I like venison.  It is really good in chili, but I would also use it in sloppy joes and spaggheti (sp).  I use it just like beef.  To me chili is one of the easiest things to make but I don't go by a recipe so it is always slightly different.  I have a cookbook for game meat somewhere, I will try to find it today and see if there is something good in it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Effylicious
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006 10:53:54 AM »

Ohhhh man, venison is great. I'd make it in a chili. Ground venison tends to be pretty gamey.

Related story--my friend's father hunts deer, and I was helping him skin it and all, I wanted to see the process and my father and brother will be hunting (for the venison) sometimes soon--and he sent me home with the loin! Mm, that made the best stew in the world, and some awesome steak too.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a moment of silence, please, for those who never had the chance, they show up to a partybut they're never asked to dance, the losers, the liars, the bastards, the theives, the cynicists, the pessimists, and those who don't believe in nothing...
Bex
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006 11:13:17 AM »

Bex, sugarkitty, care to share a recipe?  I haven't made chili in so long I'm not sure I remember how!  I have a medical condition that causes memory lapses, so sometimes I'm reallllly forgetful! 
I will send it when I get home tonight Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guys I've made an awesome new discovery! Blue and yellow mixed together makes an entirely different color... I'm gonna call it, BLELLOW!!!!
geek_patrol
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006 11:15:09 AM »

This page has venison recipes if you scroll:
http://www.paleofood.com/game.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006 01:59:09 PM »

Venison is PERFECT for chili (and I don't think it's particularly gamey at all- not like javelina or other stuff I could name), low in fat, and large in flavor. As to the recipe.....brown some onions in bacon grease, throw in garlic, oregano, cumin, and chili powder, maybe some bay leaves (to be fished out before serving) AND NO BEANS! Add some liquid (water or broth) and eventually "tighten it up" just a bit with a spoonful or so of masa. Tasty, especially on a cold winter's night......but NO BEANS!

Of all the travesties of chili making I've heard, adding raisins or tofu is the worst, can you believe it? Only in California.....TRAVESTY I TELL YOU! But beans will enrage a chili purist just as much (especially in south central Texas where I live).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006 02:54:33 PM »

Again, thanks to everyone!  The link is great, and thanks to all who sent/will send recipes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...