A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
255 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dress for prom  (Read 1662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
the_talk
« on: January 03, 2006 01:18:29 PM »

So I have decided I would like to make my own dress for prom considering the boy wants me to wear a long one and they are nearly impossible for me to find.

I have a few questions first and pictures as to what I would like top wise but am struggeling with the bottom (suggestions are welcome!!)

I want the back to be low like this

but instead of spaghetti straps I would like the front and straps to be like this dress of Beyonce's

I want the gold piping to go to the small of the back and have a gold line across the shoulder blades to keep the straps in place...I was thinking of doing a deep purple with gold piping.

my next problem is the fact that I have a small chest(barely A) and bigger hips(size 29-32inches) and a larger behind. Although I'm very proud of my assets but they do cause dress trouble (here's a link to a picture...
it's hard to really grasp it, but I'm sure you understand)

QUESTIONS
I don't have something to hang the dress on besides a hanger..is that ok?
Is sewing a dress hard?
What is the best fabric to use (I was thinking a satin like fabric so it has some shine)?
does anybody have directions/tutorials on how to start off making a dress?
And last, does anyone have a pattern that is somewhat similar to this?
Would it be better to go to a T length cut and if so would the style I want still look ok?
Can you put something in the chest area so you don't have to wear a bra, or would the gold piping cover it up enough where it wouldn't show?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! It means a lot!

--Laura[/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006 11:20:50 PM »

check out Simplicity 6401.  it looks somewhat similar... the back isn't quiet as low, and the bust looks gathered (but that could be a good thing because it may enhance your bust a bit, if you wanted that). 
by T length cut are you talking t-shirt length for the waist line?  i think you should stick with the empire waist.  again, an empire waist will enhance your bust and make your body appear "longer" (or so i just read, haha).  i think you have a perfectly lovely body, but if you're looking to up the bust and down the hips, i think the empire waist will work well for you.
you probably won't find a pattern that's exactly what you're looking for, but you can definitely find something close that you can alter to your specifications. check out some of the other pattern companies.  i did a quick browse and you might want to look at vogue 7365.  again, not exactly, but some similar elements. 
hope that helps, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TiffanyR
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006 01:43:05 AM »

Just a few more suggestions- 
In response to your question about a hanger- (if this is what you meant) I would recommend putting in hanger loops when you sew the dress.  Just take a loop of cord or twill tape and sew it into the side seams of your lining, or just right at the armpits.  Tuck them in while you're wearing it, of course, but on the hanger they'll help to support the weight of the fabric, and not stretch out your shoulder straps.

As for fabric, satin always looks nice for eveningwear.  I would say to use a lighter weight, so that it has more drape.  Or, in the picture it looks like Beyonce's dress is actually a fine jersey knit- which might be easier to use because you wouldn't have to deal with darts or as much fitting, and would also drape really nicely.

Good luck!  and be sure to post pictures whenever you're finished- it looks like it'll be gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...