A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
153 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mystery Yarn - what is it?  (Read 2614 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Gette13
« on: January 01, 2006 02:32:45 PM »

Hi!
I am not very good at following directions or patterns, and not very confident about knitting, so tend to buy one ball at a time to play with, and my projects grow from there.

I wanted to make knitty's boogie time watch band, but of course had the wrong sized needles, so decided i'd make leg warmers instead.  Problem:  I have started on my 3.25 circulars with the yarn i bought at some point in time at Walmart.  I have (oh-so-foolishly) lost the label, so don't know what i'm knitting with.

(I'm generally very strict about keeping labels, but in the pre-Christmas habit to hide things in my craft room, somehow tossed it.)

It was the last ball that Walmart had when i bought it, and i haven't seen it since at the same walmart nor at the White Oaks one here in London, Ontario. 
Lens Mills was a no go, too, as was Lewiscraft.

I've searched the online yarn catalogs, and haven't found anything that close. I'm not enough of a knitter to describe it in helpful detail, but it's got a silky sheen and I think that the label said 'sport'...but i wouldn't swear to it.

Of course, i'm just loving knitting with it, and will soon run out.  Does anyone have a guess what it might be?  or perhaps (please oh please) have the same yarn and can give me the name from their label? 
Dye-lots be damned - i just want to make SOMETHING from this pretty stuff.   Smiley  (From a watch band to leg warmers...now?  I want a sweater!)

Here is the Yarn, thanks to Craftsters handy picture hosting.  (Hope it works!  New to digital camera use AND to picture hosting.)

It's closest to the Lavendar yarn on the following link, but there are some differences.  The colour is off, but that could be a web-glitch, but the weave itself on my yarn is more like a chain, not twisted as this seems to be.
http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=grace

Note to self:  Looking for yarn online?  - definitely going to be a new addiction.   Roll Eyes

Any help would be very appreciated - oh, and Happy New Year everyone!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010 09:14:27 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be bold.  If you are going to make an error, make a doozy, and don't be afraid to hit the ball."  Billie Jean King
chloe_hippy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006 02:43:28 PM »

that is really pretty, and unfortunatly i am going to be no help, i did search online for you to see if it was simply soft as the skein looks just like the simply soft skein however they have no varaigated colors that look anything like that, lots of purples and pinks but no blues..

but i do want to ask if you find out can you please let me know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006 03:02:17 PM »

that's 4 ply worsted weight yarn and the color is called Ocean. I have that same yarn and the needles and I got mines from Wal-Mart as well. The only problem is that I don't quite yet know how to knit on them yet. Oh I noticed u put that it has a silky touch to it well it may not be 4ply worsted but the color is definately called Ocean b/c my 4 ply is the same exact color and I got mines from Wal-Mart as well. I love variegated or however u spell it yarns b/c the colors they have when u knit and crochet with them. I just need to know how to knit on circulars now any tips on how?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006 04:38:56 PM »

Here it is!

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/068721.html

I used it once to make a blanket a long time ago..  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006 07:52:49 PM »

yep that's right what Keiko has there that's the color called Ocean I have a beginner's knitting book and there is a pattern on how to make leg warmers and I am making some for my daughter in that color I just started so I hope toget done soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

subloke
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006 08:44:03 PM »

To me it looks like Red Heart Lustersheen.  I have a skein of it and your swatch looks similar to mine.  It's a lighter weight than the worsted.

Here it is on the Coats and Clark site (plus the info that would be on the ball band):  http://www.coatsandclark.com/find_a_product/knitting_crochet/e721_swatches.htm

I got mine at Walmart in Calgary.  I haven't seen it elsewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006 09:27:25 PM »

yep that's right what Keiko has there that's the color called Ocean I have a beginner's knitting book and there is a pattern on how to make leg warmers and I am making some for my daughter in that color I just started so I hope toget done soon.

Kewlies!  I haven't tried leg warmers yet, but I just finished wrist warmers (somewhat similar right?  =P  )

Post a picture of it when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gette13
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006 07:00:17 AM »

You guys are the best!  I'm POSITIVE its the lustersheen version of the Aelita's yarn.  Keiko, I think that yarn you linked us too is too 'hefty' - mine isn't quite like that.  (But I'd love to get my hands on that, too - I'm a sucker for blues of any kind.) 

I'll rush right out an get some - now that I know what I'm looking for. 
Thank you SO much!

Aelita:
Circulars are SO fun.  I adore them almost in an unhealthy way.  Smiley

What I do (not sure how easy this is to follow, but I'll try to explain) is cast on however many stitches needed. 

All your stitches are on the left. 

Knit next row as you would on regular needles, moving stitches from left to right. 

After the last stitch has been moved, put on a stitch marker. 

(The first work you did should reach to the left needle now.)

Then I keep knitting FROM THE LEFT NEEDLE, just knitting over top of the stitch marker.  When you get to the marker again, move it to the right needle, as if you are purling, and keep knitting.  It will take 2 or 3 rounds before you really feel confident. 

Hope it makes sense!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006 07:22:33 AM by Gette13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be bold.  If you are going to make an error, make a doozy, and don't be afraid to hit the ball."  Billie Jean King
hana0205

OWJ! you're the only one that I could live for

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006 12:11:29 PM »

hey! I'm from London Ontario too!
It's nice to see another Londoner (not England) here in craftster! Smiley
(sorry, it has nothing to do with your post, but I just couldn't resist  Tongue)

p.s. I'm a beginner knitter, and simply addicted!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006 02:12:30 PM »

Well Gette13 it turns out I have the wrong size circulars I need 16" and I got all 29". So now I'll have to knit them them and then seam them up instead. I guess I'll have to use my 29" for sweaters and stuff. Oh and Keiko I am also working on wrist warmers too. Blue is my fav. color of them all and wouldn't u know it my daughter's fav. is Pink.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006 08:11:18 PM by Aelita » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...