A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
208 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fashion Design future options  (Read 3906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

JanelleLaBelle

I'm a lovable dork!

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2004 09:40:52 AM »

Hello everyone,
I'm Janelle and i'm going into grade 11 following the summer. I just recently started sewing my own clothing designs with my grandmother... my machine has yet to be fixed Sad But anyways I'm preparing to go to university or college and study fashion design and I was wondering if anyone has taken or is currently taking a fashion design program, preferably in Canada? I just need some opinions on where to go to get the best training! Thanks loads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreams come true, not free...
clumsy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004 04:08:03 PM »

hey, well it depends on what kind of degree and experience you want. there are loads and loads of 2 year diploma programs, and a few 4 year university degree programs. i'm going to be going into my last year of a 4 year program in clothing and textiles at the university of alberta. the university of manitoba offers a similar program. ryerson in toronto also offers a 4 year program for fashion design. i would say the difference between u of a/u of m and ryerson is that the program i am in is more general, you learn about textiles, conservation (if you are interested in museum work involving textiles and clothing), surface design, and fashion design, and from my understanding the program at ryerson is much more specialized for fashion design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JanelleLaBelle

I'm a lovable dork!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004 04:27:53 PM »

Thanks for your ideas! I was considering Ryerson because i plan to concentrate my studies on fashion design and hopefully have my own store someday. The only problem is that its quite far from NB. Does anyone know of any places in Quebec maybe? Did you ever hear anything about the international academy or design and technology? It's only a one-year course, which shocked me to the max! I don't think it would give me enough training for what i want though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clumsy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004 05:07:30 PM »

there's probably more, but the only one i am familiar with in quebec is LaSalle because a friend of mine is thinking of going there. i think they only offer 2 year programs though. but yeah if you are really focused on fashion design, then ryerson is a good choice. personally i wanted to learn a bit about everything, so that is why i chose the program i did. you should see what kind of options you can take at ryerson, like if you can take retail marking and that sort of thing, which would be helpful for if you wanted to open your own store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JanelleLaBelle

I'm a lovable dork!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004 04:54:04 PM »

Yeah good idea. I already took a look at their fashion design program and it was pretty detailed and i'm almost sure its what i want to do. It said it would be helpful to take an Entepreneurship course in high school so i registered for it and i get to take it next year, Yahoo! LaSalle... I never heard of that... I'll look into it.
~Janelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImElika
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004 07:43:18 PM »

There's also George Brown College in Toronto, and I believe Sheridan College in Hamilton might have a fashion program. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teri
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004 03:53:03 PM »

Hey,
I know this thread is old but I just came across it since I've pretty much read everything new and was browsing old stuff, sad i know, anyways I'm from Fredericton, NB or at least going to school here at UNB.  What part of NB are you from?  You mentioned that you would like to go somewhere close to NB, have you considered the New Brunswick College of Craft and Design, aka The Craft COllege? They offer a two year diploma program in Fine Arts , and you can major in Fashion Design or the following disciplines: Clay, Creative Graphics, Jewellery/Metal Arts, Photography, Surface Design, and Textiles. If you have any questions, comments I would be happy to try and help you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004 04:30:41 PM »

i'm so jealous that i don't live in NB not only is is beautiful there, i'd love to go to "craft college" and take textile. *dreams* Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teri
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004 08:57:42 AM »

i'm so jealous that i don't live in NB not only is is beautiful there, i'd love to go to "craft college" and take textile. *dreams* Smiley
  Thanks SarahFroggy, alot of times NB is underrated cuz its considered one of the 'have not' provinces but its a beautiful place and i love it here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004 03:14:21 PM »

all my relatives are there. and i used to go there every summer when i was younger. i hated it then but now i wish i could go back every year. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...