A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 314,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
192 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All Natural Bug Repellent  (Read 7222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2004 06:19:27 AM »

You have to try this for the summer! This bug repellent works because the ingredients are natural bug repellers. Plus, they don't smell bad like chemical repellers do!

Materials ( To make enough for one person for one time)
 Smiley 1/2 oz. of unscented body lotion
 Smiley 3 drops of eucalyptus oil
 Smiley 3 drops of peppermint oil
 Smiley 3 drops of citronella oil
           Huh You can find these items at a healthfood store. They only cost a few dollars, about $4-$9 would be my guess.
           Huh Double this like a recipie to make more.

Step By Step
1. Mix the body lotion and the drops in a bowl.
2. Lather it on your body before you go outside.

Hints, Tips, and Suggestions
 Grin You can give this to friends and family as gifts.
 Grin Recycled spray bottles (or new ones from the dollar store) make great containters for this mixture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004 08:10:38 AM »

I bet you could use that recipe with sunblock instead of plain ol' lotion and get a twofer!

I saw a recipe in Esquire (of all random places) for another all natural bug spray, but instead of citronella it uses catnip...

HOW TO REPEL MOSQUITOES
Our expert: Ann Lovejoy, gardening queen and author

The ultimate scourge of any summer cookout? Not your brother-in-law after too much Jim Beam (though that may be horrible enough), but the dreaded mosquito. To show it you mean business, ditch the wussy citronella candles and get your hands on some catnip, as in the herb that sends your tabby into paroxysms of ecstasy. Its active ingredient, nepetalactone essential oil, is ten times more effective than deet, the industrial-strength compound in most repellents. Bonus: If you have an herb-loving cat, it'll be comfortably numb all summer.

Makes about three cups
2 cups catnip, stemmed
3 to 4 cups mild rice vinegar

Rinse catnip, roll lightly with a rolling pin, then place in a quart jar and soak with vinegar. Seal jar and store in a dark cupboard for two weeks, shaking jar lightly every day. Strain into a clean jar, seal, and refrigerate for up to a month unused. To use, spritz on exposed skin and around outdoor dining areas.

Has anyone tried/seen/read about anything like this before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aphrodiatea
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004 02:01:00 PM »

Those both sound interesting but wouldn't the one made with catnip have you smelling like vinager?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004 07:44:24 AM »

Those both sound interesting but wouldn't the one made with catnip have you smelling like vinager?

Actually, rice wine vinegar is very mild and slightly sweet, so that shouldn't be an issue.  If you used plain old vinegar, you'd be stinky for sure.  I bet you could substitute witch hazel if you're concerned.  And just infusing oil with the catnip might work well, too.  actually, now that I'm thinking about it, you could make a body spray with catnip to make a cooling bug repellent.  Here's a thread on that topic...

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5711.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004 09:44:11 PM »

All your recipes sound good...gotta try them...I am trying to stay away from store bought chemical ridden bug sprays.  If they are bad enough to kill bugs...I am afraid of the effects they might have to us.
When I go camping I burn stinky incense sticks around the site to insure a bug free zone.
I also bought some citronella essential oil that I sprinkle in candles that I bring along too.     ~M
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004 10:16:10 PM by Laamissa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
aphrodiatea
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004 05:59:53 PM »

Actually, rice wine vinegar is very mild and slightly sweet, so that shouldn't be an issue.  If you used plain old vinegar, you'd be stinky for sure.  I bet you could substitute witch hazel if you're concerned.  And just infusing oil with the catnip might work well, too.  actually, now that I'm thinking about it, you could make a body spray with catnip to make a cooling bug repellent.  Here's a thread on that topic...

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5711.0

Great .. I don't know much about vinager lol. Now that I know that I wanna try this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
XsilentXriotX
don't worry too much, it only hurts when i breath...

i dress her up, she knocks me down

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004 09:22:41 PM »

just puting a fabric softener sheet in ur pocket works too i heard. haven't tried it yet, but.... i dunno. i was gonna say sumthing smart but couldn't think of anything. lol. happens all the time. grr. Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la plus grande chose que vous apprendrez jamais est juste pour aimer et tre a aim dans le retour  <3
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004 05:34:10 AM »

just puting a fabric softener sheet in ur pocket works too i heard. haven't tried it yet, but.... i dunno.
Yes, one of the members on my mom's softball team does that. I don't know if it works, either, but the woman does it every game, so I guess it must do something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004 09:32:35 AM »

just puting a fabric softener sheet in ur pocket works too i heard. haven't tried it yet, but....

That's funny, 'cause I've heard that things like perfume and cologne and smelly hair spray can actually attract mosquitos, and those fabric sheets have that same kind of artificial thing going.  Huh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004 07:31:17 PM »

My Grandma taught me that trick.
The fabric softner sheet trick is mainly for bees, wasps, hornets, and flies. I use this trick (allergies) when I go camping. You put a sheet of Bounce Fabric Softner Sheets (I have never known if its brand specific, but I don't take chances) somewhere on your person and the little buggers veer away from you.
Because I am pregnant and live in a West Nile Virus area (a place where lots of mosquitoes and people get it [in NW PA]) I combined the Bounce sheet with spray on natural mosquito repellent.

I don't know if the dryer sheet will work against mosquitoes, and I'm too chicken to try. I do know that it works against bees, who are always after me... chasing me wherever I go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Cool Pupcicles for Hot Dogs
Tute Tuesday: Flower Crown
Tiny House

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...