A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 321,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting Organized! Stitching patterns, thread, etc.  (Read 2099 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

wandalicious
« on: December 26, 2005 05:47:30 PM »

I just read the thread from punkrockgirl on keeping floss organized, now I'm wondering what other suggestions y'all have for keeping all your embroidery crafting supplies organized. I've got my floss on the plastic spools in a box (you know the kind), although I like the Stitchbow method, and those little plastic baggies. I put all my patterns (mostly Sublime Stitching) in plastic page protectors, and I have those in a notebook that I store separately. My problem is that I want to store my plastic boxes of floss, plus my tools, and all my blanks (pillow cases, towels, etc) in one place.

Before I drop some dough at JoAnn's on an ArtBin organizer or something like that, do you have any suggestions for a gal like me?

Right now everything is in a big Nordstrom Shopping bag. Not too classy! Well, sort of...

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemydoxie
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005 06:06:16 PM »

i would suggest stitchbow.  I bought one of the books that just held thread and it warped in my hot car over the summer (gah!) so I bought one of the binders with the inserts.  You could probably also put in your patterns with the page protectors in the binder.  It has pockets for needes and whatnot.  I was frustrated with the book thingy, but the binder works great. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blue Loon
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005 02:38:30 PM »

Storage is a perenial problem.

For years I used the ol' plastic box solution with floss on the plastic or paper butterfly thingies. This was ok but the floss wasn't so flat and the box filled up pretty quickly, so I had more than one - More to store Sad

So I'm now using the binder with pages and the long plastic thingies for the floss. It all seems more compact and the floss is much easier to work with - only I still can't master the silky ones.

I'm always looking for more ideas in this line.
I've accumulated some styrofoam bauble shapes (extras I haven't used for Christmas). They are a challenge to store efficiently.  They seem to be everywhere!! Help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wandalicious
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005 10:03:15 PM »

Yes, but in addition to thread, how are you storing scissors, patterns, blanks, etc.? All in one place, or just on a project-by-project basis? I was cleaning out a drawer the other day and found a collection of blank tea towels! I just keep buying more because I don't know what I have! Scary!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blue Loon
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005 02:06:42 PM »

Nirvana would be a craft room  Cheesy

The folder I have is from DMC it has 3 zippered pockets (one 12"x10", one 12"x6" and one 6"x4") a section for needles and the binder rings for sheets to contain the threads (15 to a page)

I have also gathered most of my cross stitch patterns, folder (containing threads, scissors, present projects and patterns),  aida cloth, and plastic canvas in a rolling music/magazine rack.

It has a little drawer at the bottom and 4 sections (for magazines or music) This holds most everything...
... well, except those pesky styrofoam shapes.

I'm also considering taking up felting, so I'll have to find a place for its neccessities -
wool roving, at least the needles are compact and soap is easy to store.

Sticking to one craft would be tidy but not neat   Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucy Furr
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006 04:30:49 PM »

i keep my thread in the ol' plastic box with floss on paper butterfly thingies...

Now my patterns i keep in one of those accordian file folders filed by thier rightful themes. I'm constantly designing new stuff here and there so i've accumulated lots of lil this and thats that eventually make thier way into a project one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006 10:26:31 AM »

Here's what I'm doing now. The basis for my organization is a small plastic toolbox with a removable tray and storage in the lid.

I use the storage in the lid to store my floss in a kinda by-feel ROYGBIV order (as opposed to the DMC numbers, which I find counterintuitive). All my floss is wound on the plastic bobbin things with the DMC number printed on them (except for duplicates and metallic thread, which is kept in baggies inside the toolbox). I reserve one of the storage bins in the lid for little leftover pieces of thread whilst I'm working on a project. When I'm done stitching for the night, I then move those little bits into a baggie labeled "misc." This isn't really critical, but I have a hard time throwing stuff out and find the misc bag useful for random stitches, like French knots.

In the removable tray, I keep all my iron-on transfer pens and pencils, my scissors, and a baggie of extra bobbins. In the base of the toolbox, I keep extra white cotton, small pieces of interfacing, my embroidery hoop (make sure you get a toolbox that fits it!), and my patterns. Since most of my patterns are taken from modified clip art online or on my computer, this doesn't take up a lot of space and I haven't had to resort to a binder for this yet. (But, I just realized, when I do, I have a super cute tiny binder that's perfect for all the little projects I do!)

For projects in progress, I currently carry everything around in an oversized ziploc bag, as I haven't finished the embroidery case I attempted to start prior to the holidays. The case has a large buttoned compartment for the embroidery hoop and project, then two zippered compartments--one for scissors, the other for floss. As soon as I finish it (motivate, motivate!), I can post pictures if you like.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently completed:  a set of Ani Difranco kitchen towels  |   Currently taking up my craft desk:  massive reorganization of my stuff
Blue Loon
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006 12:41:52 PM »

Your system sounds very ordered.
Can't wait to see your hand-made, customized embroidery case.

PS: I now realise that the leftover styrofaom heart shapes will be great for Valentine sequin hearts. Yeay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006 11:57:19 AM »

Right now I have about 10 plastic bags filled with different things piled in our bedroom.  I plan on getting a desk and some drawers, shelves and decorative boxes for a corner of our bedroom.  (I wish I could have an entire room).   

But right now some of the better organizing things I have going are keeping all my patterns separated by Miscellaneous, Embroidery, and Cross Stitch in our filing cabinet. 

For floss I use two methods, both have good and bad sides to them.  I use Stitchbow.  It's neater and I love the little zip up binder I have (which is also where I keep the scissors and extra needles and a hoop). The bad thing is, I always have a stray string hanging out trying to get caught in the zipper.  Also stitchbow isn't as handy when you pick out 5 or 6 colors to work on one project if you don't want to keep putting them back in the binder.   

The other method I use for floss are those little baggies they sell at craft stores by the floss section.  It's a small ziplock bag w/ two holes so you can hold a group of them together with metal rings.  I use this for individual projects, then when I'm done with the project I put it back in the stitchbow.  I haven't had a problem with floss tangling in the baggies at all since they're all in their own baggie - it's also a great way to keep the extra lengths you get - not as easy to do w/ stitchbow.   The reason I don't use baggies alone is that they can wear out (not quickly, but I have a project that's lasted two years, the bags are a little worn).  And they take up way too much space and they look kinda messy.   

although I do have a picture in my head for when I get my craft area set up, to have a dowel rod and keep every color of floss in baggies, grouped in however many will fit on a ring, and hanging the rings on the dowel, then having a "portable set" and take out whatever colors I need for a project temporarily, putting them back in order when I'm done. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wherethewild

Stitchalicious.com - funking up embroidery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006 05:00:56 AM »

Ive got now two of those sets of boxes from IKEA with lots of little boxes/drawers. I painted them with a cow pattern in purple (okay, so it looks a little bit like Milka, but hey). That has all my needles/beads/embellishments/scizzors/wire etc etc. I also have about 6 different floss boxes  and 4 large cheap sealable plastic boxes, all the designs are in large binders and magazines in magazine holders. All of these are nicely put aside in a really cheap shelf  from IKEA (have I mentioned Im also an IKEA addict?), so I have my stitching corner without it taking up much space and I get to look at my stash and feel happy and  complete.

Yes, I know Im pathetic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitchalicious - funking up embroidery

Street art and Graffiti cross stitch patterns!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting
September 19, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...