A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
137 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boxy red bag with grosgrain ribbon trim! **TUT ON PAGE 2!!!**  (Read 144892 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005 10:22:19 PM »

Thanks everyone! ^_^

brokenpencil:
I did take some photos of my process for reference, I could probably pull together a tute from it.  Smiley
I'll try to get it done next couple of days.

Dia:
I love red, too. ^_^
I'd love to see it if you do make one of these!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
.:popsi:.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005 08:00:51 AM »

yay, i see studs!  awesome - i love the colour, the applique...everything.  awesome to the max (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005 08:05:13 AM »

Perfect!  I love it, especially because it's in my most favorite color.  Nice job!  And right on with the price!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005 10:41:02 AM »

Thanks archer and popsi! ^_^
I love red, too!  Hmm, seems like red is a favourite colour for a lot of people! I always thought the most common favourite colour was blue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2005 05:23:17 AM »

ok, i'll make one as soon as i get a pretty victim  Wink

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO U & EVERYBODY Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005 06:39:02 AM »

WOW!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!  I love your appliques, they always look so cool!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2005 07:44:27 AM »

Yay, can't wait to see Dia! Cheesy
And thanks girlygirl!
LOOK at the emoticons you guys!  lol...How come one of them is a cop??  *points up*
Happy Xmas to everyone!!!!!!!!!!  ^_^

P.S.
Tutorial for this bag coming soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brokenpencil
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2005 10:44:24 AM »

Tutorial for this bag coming soon...

yay! can't wait to try this bag. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005 10:51:02 PM »

Edited 10-June-08:
***I was just informed that the images for this tutorial weren't working (it's a long story involving my old web host nuking my site) but I fixed them!   Grin
I also want to add that I think bias tape would be a very good substitution for the grosgrain ribbon in this tutorial.  I don't think I knew about bias tape back when I made this bag...lol.  Grosgrain ribbon will obviously work, but bias tape is certainly easier to work with.  Cheers everyone!! ^_^

Ok, here is the tutorial for the red boxy purse with grosgrain ribbon trim. Smiley  I really hope it makes sense.  I have had a long day at work and am kind of spacy.  ^^;
Please feel free to reply or PM me with questions and I will try to make it clearer if necessary.
Cheers and Merry Xmas!!  ^_^

Here goes...!

These are the pattern pieces I used:

The smaller shorter piece is for the sides, the larger is for the front and back.
Cut two of each from your liner fabric, your outer fabric, and interfacing if you wish.

First off, sew the bottom of the front and back of the outer fabric together (right sides facing), like so:

Next you attach the first side panel.  Line up the straps and top.  There will be a space between the bottom of the side panel and the front/back of the bag, but that makes the bottom of the purse so it's okay.  Put wrong sides together since you are going to cover the raw seam with trim later. Smiley

This is how it looks after you sew it:

Next you have to pin the bottom of the front and back pieces to the bottom of the side panel.  This is a little tricky, you have to bend it and get it to line up with the bottom of the side panel.  This is how it looked when I pinned it:

At this point, do all of these steps with the other side of the purse as well.  Then you should have something like this:

Now you will need to sew the other front panel to the side panels.  Again it's a little tricky on the bottom corner but it's not too hard. Smiley
It should look like this when you're done:

Now repeat all of the above steps with your liner fabric pieces.  You don't need to leave a "space" open for turning because this bag will not be turned inside out! Smiley

Once you have assembled your liner fabric, you need to pin it inside of the outer fabric bag and sew the whole top part, all the way around the straps and everything (this is somewhere between what you do with a jordy and a skipping bag).
It will look like this when you have pinned it:

Now comes the interesting part!  Your bag is pretty much assembled but you have all these raw seams sticking out!  Now you get to cover them with ribbon, which is both fun and annoying. ^_^

I started with the front of the bag, and at the top of the strap.  I used 7/8" wide ribbon, and I just sort of pressed it in half with my finger nail.  Then I used fabric glue stick to hold it in place while sewing it since pinning seemed out of the question.  Here's a pic of me putting it on:

When you are attaching the ribbon trim on the front and back panel, you can add your ribbon ties in the center between the liner fabric and the ribbon trim.  I just cut two lengths of ribbon, folded in half, and sewed the edge:

Do this same process on the raw edges a the top of the side panels.
When you're all done with the top seams it will look like this:

Now take your two front straps, and press up a small hem on the edges to hide the jaggy parts and sew it down.  Then turn the strap so that the raw seam on the top of it is facing toward the front of the purse.  Put the two straps together and sew them almost all the way across, but leave a little space near the opening of the bag.
It's hard to explain, here are a couple of pics trying to show what I'm talking about:

Do this same thing on the other side of the bag.  Now all that is left is to cover the raw seams on the side panels and tops of the straps.  It's basically the same process.  When you have finished that you are all done!  Enjoy! ^_^
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008 10:35:34 AM by thingwraith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005 01:01:38 PM »

Thanks for the tute!  You're the best!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...