A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 320,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
236 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quilled ornaments: how to protect/strengthen them?  (Read 1989 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: December 03, 2005 08:05:25 PM »

So generally I make quilled cards and stationary, but it's holiday time, so I've started in on ornaments-- snowflakes and the like.  They're coming out beautifully adn everyone who's seen them wants one.  Which is good.

But they're still just paper.  which means, first, that htey're really fragile, and second, that htey will eventually discolor and fall apart.  I'd really like to have them last more than just one season, but I'm not sure how to strenghten them.

Does anyone know if any spray finish kind of thing that I could get that would help make them more secure, keep the pieces together, and just add a protective coat to the whole thing?  I heard somewhere that hair spray works...  is that true at all??

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005 09:09:34 PM »

Seems like no one has any ideas.  I will rephrase, in the continued hope that someone can help me out!

Basically, I just want something I can spray on paper to protect it, keep it from becoming discolored, maybe strengthen it somewhat.  Some kind of sealer, but I don't know what's available.

If anyone does any papercrafts and has suggestions, I would be very grateful!

Thanks again.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005 09:19:23 PM »

I made some quilled snowflakes last week. I just used a brush-on Folk Art sealer that you can buy at any craft store--usually by the craft paint. I bought some Folk Art spray sealer to try, but I haven't used it yet.
I think that Krylon makes a spray sealer that would probably work, too.
The brush-on worked great for me. Hope that helps!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005 10:47:30 PM »

Thanks, tofutti!  Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, I'll have to check out Pearl.   Did you post pictures of the snowflakes you made?  I'd love to see.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005 07:23:43 AM »

I'm looking for a product, too. Everything I've tried thus far from clear coat sprays to modge podge has failed. Grrrr!

Any assistance from quilling folks would be much appreciated!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005 04:24:15 PM »

I don't know much about how to protect the paper structure, but I know that there's a product called Archival Mist that you can use to spray on the paper to keep it from discoloring. Hope that helps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Doll
Simply Saints
Meatless Monday: Kid Friendly Fruit Snacks

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2018, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.