A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
202 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Caramel (and chocolate) Apples  (Read 4353 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Vog
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009 08:26:43 AM »

I've always wanted to try a caramel apple; we don't do caramel apples, we do toffee apples over here. Do you guys make them over there? It's the same thing but made with toffee, usually with red or green colouring in it and wrapped in a piece of cellophane.

Is the caramel rock hard?

I might make these one day.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009 08:28:08 AM by Vog » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009 01:14:44 PM »

Caity - make em! They're good, promise
Kirrashi - did you make them yet? How did you like them? Did yours have little brown/black spots too?
Bunsen - I think you'll like these. I haven't really had one with the caramel pieces in a while so I couldn't compare them, but they're a million times better from what I remember. IMHO anyways.
Vog - Hmm I haven't seen toffee apples in TX, but that doesn't mean they're not around. Where are you from? The caramel isn't hard (although, I'm sure if you let it sit a while it would eventually get hard, but by then it wouldn't be good anymore) it's very soft and chewy. Very chewy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
Kirrashi
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009 12:16:58 PM »

We made them! We'd never made caramel before either, and ended up messing up the first batch. I think it got too hot, then cold, then too hot again, and was heating unevenly because of the pot it was in! (The bottom wasn't flat!!) It ended up really dark and grainy, and too think to work to coat anything. Still tasted good though! The second batch came out so much better! (We used a better pot! And I think were more consistent with stirring it.) It was still pretty thick, but it was great!  There ended up not being enough for all the apples, so some just had drippy chocolate on them (which looks really cool). Also, we used sweetened condensed milk instead of the evaporated milk and sugar.  =)
There were brown spots in the first batch, before it all turned brown, I think those are bits that got scorched on the bottom of the pan. There were some in the second batch over behind where the candy thermometer was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009 04:28:29 PM »

Haha good to know I'm not the only one who gets brown spots in the caramel Wink I think I did the hot-cold-hot thing too. I had the burner at a semi high temp and the syrupy mixture wouldn't get up past a certain temp so I'd turn it up, then it'd start bubbling over so I'd turn it down, and kept repeating that haha.
I think even cooking and consistent stirring is the key. I could be wrong though haha.
Man I'm really wanting sweets now, but I don't have the stuff to make these. I think I'll go make some cheesecake
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
murjack
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010 07:47:40 AM »

looks yummmy!!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010 07:48:39 AM by murjack » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...