A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,626
Currently Running With Scissors:
216 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mixed bag of questions  (Read 1406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

gracebytes
« on: May 31, 2004 09:21:02 PM »

Hi all,

So I'm yet another crafty gal working towards starting up a website to sell my wares. This board has been extremely helpful, but I do have a few question I hope you all can help me with.

1. Is accepting money orders/checks worth the effort or should I solely take CC orders? So far right now I have a cart system set up for "offline processing". Basically its just an easier way to keep track of orders and inventory for me instead of having to have someone email me their order, writing them back, etcetc. I am also planning on adding a cart for CC orders through CCNow (yes i know about paypal, but would prefer not to use them  Wink ). Does this seem like a good idea or should I just go with CC orders and skip the hassle of going to the bank every time I get a money order or check?

2. How do you feel about others that sell similar items? I know a lot of people sell purses and necklaces, things like that. And that no one call really tell you NOT to sell something because you're "stealing/ripping them off" or whatever. But for example, I am planning on make those felt flower pins. I know a LOT of people sell those, but there are only so many ways you can make a felt flower pin right? I'm a wee bit worried about that. The last thing I want is to be shunned from crafty society  Grin

3. Not really a question but, I'm just wondering of anyone with a crafty business is also on SSI/SSDI? No reason behind this one, I'm just being nosy and wondering if anyone else is.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give. I'll be sure to let you guys know when the site is actually functional so you can check it out  Smiley

-Grace
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftpunk
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004 10:18:22 PM »

I can only respond to #2, since I'm pretty new at the business end of this myself.  I make a lot of things that I've seen other people doing similar things to, but the ways you can make something differently are only limited by your imagination.  I'm sure you can come up with a totally new twist on felt flowers.  And if you do, someone will probably rip off your idea.  That's the way things seem to go.  Just make everything as absolute best as you can, and your customers will appreciate the time and craftsmanship you put into it, instead of thinking that you copied someone else.   

If you read craftster a lot, you forget that the general public probably has no idea how many different people make very similar crafts.  I'm always amused when my customers say "Wow, where in the world did you ever come up with such a completely unique idea?" 

As for being shunned from crafty society, I wouldn't worry too much.  If I ever met someone who was directly ripping my ideas off, in an obvious way, I would probably kick their ass, but anythings that had been inspired by my work, I would be flattered.  Just put your own spin on it, and you'll be fine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rebound-designs.com 
Handcrafted Bling
shannonburns
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004 05:19:27 PM »

i feel the same as she does.. i've just recently started selling my stuff and even though it is similar to others in certain ways i feel like its different because everyone takes things that they like and puts their own spin on it. thats what makes them original. i think everyone feeds off of each other. we all help each other and things evolve from that.

i have one girl that bought a bag from me a year ago and then she sent an email to me saying how i inspired her to start making her own bags. and i was like oh thats cool. til i saw she was just doing my exact thing. i didn't think that was cool. she sees what i list on ebay and just copies it. she checks what i list on ebay and what i buy. its a bit odd for someone that isn't even a friend. maybe i'm nuts... what does anyone else think?

my husband said i was being bitchy about it and that i should be flattered. but i thought it was a bit creepy.

Smiley shannon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check me out on ebay under rubyroxxdesigns or visit me on live journal at:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/irelynfaerie/35286.html?view=121302#t121302
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004 08:51:44 PM »

Husbands always say things like that... sounds to me like she's a SWCF (single white crafting female... hey maybe Jennifer Jason Leigh can play your own personal "Hedy" in the movie version)

I attend LARPing events and make things like pouches and messenger bags (always needed) and sell them for pocket money. One year this girl showed up with her boyfriend- not unusual. As I was selling things over in the corner minding my own business... she came over and started looking at my stuff. I thought, 'Cool, maybe she'll buy something'. I thought that until she broke out a mini tape measure and preceded to draw/write down pattern sizes and whatnot right there at my table so she could reproduce what I was selling and sell it herself. Grrrr. Get your own idea (I wouldn't care except I created the patterns I was using- and she didn't even buy anything).

To resume on topic:
1. Do whatever you like, But I think that money in any form is good to get. If you prefer the less hassle route, go with whatever your instincts tell you.

2. Have you ever been to a Renn Faire or a large scale craft fair? Chances are you'll see many tables with similar things on them. The difference being mainly the prices and fabrics- maybe a little detail work on some things. You can expect to see people selling things similar to yours, and you them. It won't get you shunned from crafty society if this happens. Though, if you are snaking original patterns, and are totally nonsly about the whole thing- and the booth owner/orginal creator gives you a piece of their mind... don't be surprised. Most crafters are quite vocal if they think you are ripping them off.

3. No I am not, but I am a stay at home mom- does that count?

Hope that helps.
Steph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
shannonburns
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004 05:17:01 AM »

oh thats horrible!!!!!

i  am a stay at home mom too! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

check me out on ebay under rubyroxxdesigns or visit me on live journal at:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/irelynfaerie/35286.html?view=121302#t121302
lexscreations
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004 08:42:40 AM »

I accept checks and money orders, though people don't usually choose to pay that way when they're buying over the Internet.

As for SSI, I would be on it but my parents insist on helping me out so I don't get evicted.   Tongue  Funny that.

I'm lucky, I guess; but I hate the guilt complex...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Beep

Aunt Beep loves you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004 05:50:23 PM »

Here's my two cents, for what its worth:
The cream always rises to the top.  I truly believe that if you run your business with  passion, perserverance, creativity, honesty and integrity you will be successful even if your next door neightboor is making the exact same handbag as you.  You can't go wrong with following your heart and going after it 100%.  That's not to say we all shouldn't make wise (or at least informed) business descisions, but the rest takes care of itself.  Don't worry about what the other guy is doing, worry about whether or not you're doing everything you can to be the best.

Kiss 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.auntbeep.com
An online boutique & gallery showcasing fresh, talented Los Angeles designers and artists.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...