A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 311,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Generic Hat Pattern  (Read 1260 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

*Kara*
« on: December 13, 2005 03:27:06 PM »

Does anybody know where I could find a very generic pattern for a beanie?  One that would be easy to change depending on yarn weight/gauge?  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinimonstk

Smokey says NO to Sew Fast So Sleazy!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005 05:27:10 PM »

You know, I just asked the same thing last night https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67519.0!  After poking around some of the links the ladies gave me I found this:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php

tons of beanie patterns.

I think there is also a pattern generator somewhere ....  oh yeah, here it is: http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/Hats/

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW SLEAZY!
http://www.cafepress.com/saynotosfse/
*Kara*
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005 06:13:49 PM »

Yeah, I have that site bookmarked, and I found a page on there that gave me kind of what I was looking for.  I'll post it if I can find it again.  Basically, I have some Rowan Burly Spun that I want to make a hat out of, but I can't find any patterns with yarn that thick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*Kara*
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005 06:17:53 PM »

Yeah, I have that site bookmarked, and I found a page on there that gave me kind of what I was looking for.  I'll post it if I can find it again.  Basically, I have some Rowan Burly Spun that I want to make a hat out of, but I can't find any patterns with yarn that thick.

This is it...  http://ooobabyknits.typepad.com/ooo_baby_knits/2004/07/something_old.html

It's about as simple as you get, I think I can make it work, but I've never made a hat before, so I think it's going to be a learning experience, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chamaecyparis
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005 06:48:42 PM »

So you will never have to search for a basic hat pattern again:
(for circular or double-pointed needles):
1) knit a swatch and measure your gauge

2) measure your head (or if it's not for you, measure the head of the person it is for.  Or, one of the links just posted had a chart of standard hat sizes).

3) Multiply your gauge (stitches per inch) by the head circumference.

4) Subtract about 10% from that number (for a snug fit).
    You may want to adjust this number a little so it is easily divisible (see step 6).

5) Cast on that number of stitches, join to work in the round, and knit for 8 inches (9 for peole with larger heads, or if you intend the brim to fold up).  If you work in plain stockinette stitch (all knit stitches), the brim will curl.  You can experiment with ribbing (k1,p1, k2,p2, etc) for a different look.  I usually use a set of needles 2 sizes down from the ones I swatched with for the first two inches or so, or for the desired lenght of the ribbed portion.

6) Pick a number that divides easily into the number of stitches you cast on (for example, if you had 60 stitches on your needles, you might use 6): we will call this number x.  Subtract one from this number: x-1. 

7) Knit x-1 stitches, then k2tog.  repeat across the round. (if we were using my example from the last step, you would k5, k2tog)
Knit the next round plain.
On the next round, decrease after every x-2 stitches

8)Continue this way, decreasing on every other round, and having one less stitch between decreases each time.  On the last round, K2tog all the way around (if you are using circs, you will probably have to switch to DPNS when you get down to the last few decrease rounds).  Break yarn and thread it through the remaining stitches, then pull on it to close the top.  Weave in ends.

Voila, you have a hat!

I hope this was clear enough.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*Kara*
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005 07:05:07 PM »

It makes perfect sense, that's exactly what I was looking for, THANK YOU!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chamaecyparis
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005 07:23:51 PM »

Glad to help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...