A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,883
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any help with how to make these scarves  (Read 897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2005 05:42:53 AM »

I love the pattern/idea of this scarf(comes from J.Crew in case you're wondering) and would like to make one but in different colors... would it be possible to do by hand or is it a machine-only type of scarf?

also, same q for theise types of scarf:

(this should measure 75"L x 4"W)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 10:25:22 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
legallyblonde
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005 07:00:26 AM »

You could easily do that but the gauge wouldn't be as fine (unless you wanted to knit for years at a teeny tiny gauge!).  It would be simple stockinette with what looks like 1x1 rib at the bottom.  The only problem is that stockinette rolls even after blocking so you'd want to make it wide enough that it doesn't matter or add a border of garter stitch.  Or what I would do would be use a pattern like the Harry Potter scarf pattern you can see on a bunch of blogs now.

http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/azkaban/pattern.shtml

It's stockinette in the round so it won't roll.  You could do a couple inches of ribbing at each end instead of fringe. The fringe closes the tube in this pattern but you could seam that up instead.  It's pretty easy to do a stripe pattern.  Just do a swatch and figure out how many rows of each color you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005 07:26:09 AM »

I think these scarves ARE done in the round already.  That's what it looks like to me.  So yes, you either have to work on circulars or in double-sided stockinette.  For something that wide, I woulld work on circs.  (Plus, it's easier to do ribbing on circs, though it isn't impossible with the double-sided stockinette method.)  I probably would not make it that big, myself, but then I prefer a scarf that doesn't bunch up too much around my neck or under my coat.  Where I live real men are real men and winter is winter, if you catch my meaning, so scarves are actually more for function than looks, and the HAVE to fit under a coat.  But if you live somewhere (or if you are going to give it to someone who does) where a scarf is all you really need some days, then by all means make it bigger.  Still, though, at that size, you might as well just add another couple of feet and call it a blanket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
polycotton
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 08:01:30 AM »

The first two even look like they're a jersey/t-shirt weight fabric - you could even go to a thrift store and get an old rugby/polo shirt in that case. I don't know how many fabric stores would have stuff off the bolt that would be striped like that, but it's worth a shot as well. Knit fabric is sorta tricky to sew sometimes - if you use a machine, use a ball-point needle for sure. Probably fine to sew by hand, though I've never tried before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polycotton
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005 08:03:33 AM »

Ack, I'm so silly, I didn't notice that this was in the "knitting" category! Sorry, guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jazzybelle
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005 06:32:04 AM »

Just do that fake "double knitting" thing. It gives you a tube and the ends are closed off automatically by casting on and binding off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005 06:57:13 AM »

Right, that's the souble-sided stockinette method.  But it has been my experience that really the double-sided stockinette method is a little better for smaller projects, and it looks like these scarves are open on the ends, anyway, like one big long sleeve with a cuff at each end.  So I'd still recommend circulars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...