A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
215 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why Paper Piecing?  (Read 3194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

kmel
« on: May 27, 2004 01:24:08 PM »

I don't understand the point of paper piecing. It seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. I take it that the technique makes some kinds of patchwork easier, but ... what kinds? Can someone enlighten me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004 02:21:13 PM »

Until a few days ago, I didn't get it either.  The first paper-piecing project I encountered was a crazy quilt, and I couldn't understand why the quilter didn't just use muslin or something for a foundation -- sturdier, and you don't have to pick off the paper.  I still don't know why she used paper, frankly, since on a crazy quilt anything goes... 

BUT!  Then I saw that someone had used "paper foundation piecing" (that's a good phrase to google for, btw) to make a quilt with a  geometric design -- I think it was "tumbling blocks" and I think it was right here on craftster. (in a hurry, not going to look right now).  So I googled for more info, got interested, and tried it myself on the "monkey wrench" quilt that I'm making.  All I can say is WOW.  "Monkey wrench" is built mostly of triangles,  and it was quite tricky for me to get my corners and angles lined up properly before I tried the paper foundation.  I did a lot of picking out and re-seaming, and even then I had to just say "good enough" on some blocks.  I tried a paper foundation for two blocks just a couple days ago and the result was so nice -- almost perfect on the first try!

I'd recommend trying the technique if you're doing a quilt block with a lot of small pieces, or a lot of pieces cut on the bias.

Here's a good site that goes over the basics:  http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/pfp-1.html

Using a graphics program, I made a life-size line drawing of the center of my quilt block and just printed it out on regular printer paper.  It tore away easily afterward, especially when I folded and creased on the seamline perforations.

Give it a try!  I'm really grateful to the craftster  quilter who brought PFP to my attention :)

Have fun,

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004 04:23:59 PM »

i'm obsessed with the paper piecing!  it took some practicing to figure it out, but it's amazing.  most of my designs are based on the log-cabin, they start with a central square & go out.  i just draw them on graph paper & trace.  when i do something that's more than one square like the piece below, i just trace the first drawing 4 times.  then you can tear the paper off & the sqare isn't any bulkier - that's kind of important when you're making something tiny.  this one is 4x8" (not including the border)  i can make them super super tweetsy.  i sent this one to my brother-in-law's parents in switzerland, i think it came out kind of art deco...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
kayray
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004 05:27:59 PM »

Coffee:  That's amazing!  Beautiful!  Luscious colors and fabulous  design.
oxoxo
Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
tamarack

the mad crafter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004 01:18:52 PM »

That does look awesome!

Checked out the paper-piecing site... looks easy enough.. think I'll have to try it!! you know how it is with those projects that "look easy"!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be quilting!
SarahFroggy
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004 08:54:04 AM »

this site is pretty cool. some of the patterns are free and the other more intricate can be purchased. very neat stuff though

paper piecing is great. so accurate and makes it very easy to piece intricate patterns.

http://www.paperpanache.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftybelle
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004 02:57:09 PM »

Thanks for all the input on paper piecing fellow quilters! I must say I was a bit confused by it at first but I think it will help out for most quilting projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will-
for life is short but sweet for certain.
DMB
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004 05:36:26 PM »

post pictures of what you make!  i'm curious to see what others are doing with paperpiecing.  it took me a few tries & several messups to figure it out, but now it feels like i could make anything...

*e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
SarahFroggy
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004 07:33:18 PM »

i;m working on a miniature quilt( i think the whole thing is 12inches square). mariner's compass. its teeny but paper piecing makes it a lot easier
THIS ROCKS   Logged
verucaamish
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005 06:58:20 AM »

How on earth do you do it?  I am this great pattern for dragonflies but I completely don't understand foundation piecing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...