A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chocolate chip cookies . . .  (Read 2176 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2005 05:29:23 PM »

Does anyone have a recipe for good chocolate chip cookies that doesn't involve any brown sugar? I can't seem to find anything, and I'm in a cookie-baking mood tonight.

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
Xiexie11
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005 07:54:11 PM »

if you have molasses, you can mix in 1/4 cup molasses to 1 cup of white sugar as a substitute for brown sugar.  The  brown sugar holds moisture, so just replacing it with white sugar would likely make for pretty crunchy cookies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005 10:33:52 PM »

Here's my recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Everyone always asks me for the recipe when they try these. They are always surprised to find out they are vegan Smiley  Yum

Ingredients:
-2 cups flour
-2 tsps baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon (depending on how much you like cinnamon, I always add the full tsp)
-1 cup chocolate chips or carob chips
-1 cup sugar
-1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/4 cup warm water
-1/4 to 1/2 cup chocolate soy milk (depending on moisture needed)

Directions:
This recipe works best if all ingredients are at room temperature, with the exception of the soy milk.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon (if you choose). Add chips. Make a well in the centre and set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl mix sugar and oil. Mix well. Add vanilla and then the water and 1/4 cup of the soy milk. Mix well.
4. Add the wet to the well in the dry. Mix well but don't overwork. If it needs a little extra moisture you can add a touch more soy milk.
5. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 5 minutes, flip and/or rotate the cookie sheets and bake another 4 minutes. Keep checking them often after this point until they are done.
They are done when they feel slightly softer than you want them to be.

My favourite thing about these cookies is that they stay soft after they cool. Yum.

Enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xiexie11
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005 11:55:58 AM »

I forget about the oil!  That's another way to keep them soft. Is all sugar vegan?  My understanding is that refined sugar uses charcoal in the processing and sometimes has bone meal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SparroWinter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005 01:30:34 PM »

O_o

Okay, the concept of having crushed bones mixed in with my sugar just kinda disturbs me . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Falliage scarf
Xiexie11
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005 01:40:46 PM »

Yeah.  You're not alone.  Smiley  It's not mixed in.  It's used in a filtering process. Not all sugar is refined that way.  Apparently it's supposed to be something like 50% of sugar out there is processed with bone char.

I'm not actually vegan. I've cooked for some vegans though, and I was surprised to find out that some of them wouldn't eat sugar.  A quick google search for "vegan sugar" turned up some interesting info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005 09:56:30 AM »

The whole vegan sugar thing is one of those matters of opinion forever up for debate. Yes, most white sugar is refined through a bone char filter. No bone char remains in the sugar. Some vegans think it's not vegan as a result, some vegans (myself included) have no real issues with this. I'm not vegan to make myself "pure" in the eyes of the vegan police, I'm vegan to help reduce animal suffering. Sugar refined with bone char is not causing animal suffering. Bone char is used because it is cheap and readily available because of the meat industry. If it was not such an easy solution they would use something else. There are simply more important angles to "attack" than the sugar thing, and in my opinion just end up turning more people off, and hurting the cause. But hey...my opinion. Nevermind the fact that it is impossible to avoid every use of animal products. The very same filters used to process sugar are often used in water filters, even by municipal water plants, so the water coming out of your tap may not be "vegan" by those standards. Animal products are used in glue for book binding, in the processing of rubber for the tires on your bike, to the concrete you walk down the street on. You can't eliminate everything. You have to choose your battles I guess. To me there are more important ones than whitened sugar.

However, there is sugar processed through vegetable based filters, and also raw sugar (which works very well in this recipe) for those vegans who refuse to eat the white refined sugar.

Now then....that's enough blabbering on from me.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xiexie11
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005 11:49:39 AM »

Ah, not trying to start a religious war or anything.  When people come to my house to eat, I just ask for a list of ingredients I should avoid.  Sugar is no different than eggplant in my opinion.  You don't want it in your dinner, I'll use something else.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SparroWinter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005 03:56:14 PM »

I'm all for the reduction in animal suffering, but yeah, you have a point with the bone char thing, CrazyJayBlue. The animals would be dead for their meat anyway, so in a way, making use of the leftovers is something of a better alternative to just throwing them away. Better to use as much as possible than as little as possible, after all.

At least, those are my thoughts on it. I'm not vegan myself. Not even vegetarian (I've tried, but dammit, I enjoy the taste of meat too much to give it up so easily. Too weak willed, I freely admit). But I do make my stand against animal cruelty in some ways, albeit small ones. I buy free range eggs as opposed to cheaper 'factory' eggs. (Not much, but it's a start.) Of course, that's not all I do, but it's the first thing that comes to mind right now.

I admire the people who are vegan and vegetarian, who are doing so because they're standing up for what they believe in. Well, I admire the ones who don't try to throw it in my face that I'm different than they are. But really, so long as no one tries to tell me that I'm ignorant for not following their ways, I'm all set and content to go on admiring. :p

THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Falliage scarf
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...