A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,261
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me make this dress before Dec 19  (Read 5021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Twine
« on: November 21, 2005 06:50:05 PM »

I haven't seen my bf in 5 months (stupid army) and on december 19th i'm flying to san francisco (he's meeting me there) to spend two weeks with him and his family...i am going to be there until Jan 2 and i need something to wear for new years....so i found this but i can't seem to figure it out!

could someone please help me?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2005 06:32:44 PM by Twine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Piggies and breathers!
SillyLittleSquirrels

Coco says: Adopt a dog from your local shelter!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005 06:55:53 PM »

Wow that dress is gorgeous! I can see why you want to make it. I'm actually of no help:Smiley, I'm just here to tell you wow and good luck on making that dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And those seen dancing were thought insane by those that could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
Lostlipgloss
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005 07:44:40 PM »

Wow that dress is gorgeous! I can see why you want to make it. I'm actually of no help:Smiley, I'm just here to tell you wow and good luck on making that dress!
Same here.
Well... I guess you could try making a tube dress with that tieish part added after? I really dont know how to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pwntbygirl.
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005 07:50:24 PM »

thats a gorgeous dress.

I would start with making a tube dress about twice as long as it needs to be (you can always hem it later on if it's too long, and out of a knit fabric, to get that drape) and then I would make a series of gathers down the front (from what I can tell and what the description says, those are gathers, not ties..)

I don't know how to do them to get it to look like those, but there's a great book called "The Art of Manipulating Fabric" that explains in detail how to do stuff like that.

You could also just experiment for a while til you get them down Smiley

the "straps" look like a halter type top made out of a sheer material that's just sewn to the top of the tube.

I really hope this helps.'

and as always, POST PICTURES WHEN YOU'RE DONE.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
Twine
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005 08:19:55 PM »

thanks bunches i'm going out tommorrow to get the right fabric and i'll get right to it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Piggies and breathers!
Monina
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005 08:35:03 PM »

What I see is that this dress is formed by several pieces:
- A: The main piece is the dress itself: with a V neck on the front and the straps sewed to the straight back line.
- B: The long piece that goes from the straps on the back, up over the shoulders and along the V neckline, "tying up" in the middle of that V and going down loose all the way to the hem of the dress.
- C: The piece that covers and wraps the upper part of the back of the dress, from the hips to the shoulder blades, gathered on the sides to form that drape.
- D: And the 5 pieces that cross over the front of the dress, attached on the sides of the dress and that are gathered in the middle of each of them, attaching them at the same time to piece "B".
The dress is made in a knitted material, that's why you can get that draped finishing and making it tight. The skirt is just like a wide A shape, that will flow and will wave nicely due to the weight and stretchiness of the stretchy material. I would make it in a light color so that the gatherings and pieces will show and won't get lost in a dark color. (Grrrr... I just tried to draw a diagram on Paint and just gave up, I suck!) If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.
Good luck! The dress is so beautiful and so appropriate to go spend a special night with your sweetie after such a long time!
Monina
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Twine
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005 08:44:29 PM »

aha! i totally see it now! the world makes sense again...this thing will be a beeyotch to conquer but i am really excited about it! i was picturing it in the ivory color there but if you have any other color suggestions i'm open to them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Piggies and breathers!
Monina
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005 09:04:56 PM »

aha! i totally see it now! the world makes sense again...this thing will be a beeyotch to conquer but i am really excited about it! i was picturing it in the ivory color there but if you have any other color suggestions i'm open to them!

I'm sure that you will do a wonderful job! As per colors... I am now going through a sunset/Arizona desert phase. Think about fushias, violets, oranges, yellows... Anything with some texture would look great too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Twine
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005 09:21:29 PM »

as for the fabric.....is it all one type of fabric? and what fabric do you think it is?Huh? Huh
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005 07:25:01 AM by Twine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Piggies and breathers!
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005 09:12:16 AM »

I don't think it is all one fabric-- it looks like the neckline/straps part is a more sheer material, there's probably a less stretchy lining, and then the rest of the dress looks like it'd be a heavy knit of some sort
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse
Best Friends

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...