A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
154 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A crying shame!  (Read 3880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

PurpleHeather
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005 07:42:45 AM »

Aaah - public transport in the UK is generally fine.  Not amazingly cheap if you've not got a young person's railcard, but not too bad!  Where are you starting out from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickybiker
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005 07:47:15 AM »

Oooh, I'd quite like to join you guys for this!  I'd be interested in making hair 'falls' and such, I've heard that the natural wool ones are the best.  :-)
Plus I crochet and knit and I'm always wanting to learn new skills!

I'm currently in Cambridgeshire, originally from Manchester and my boyfriend is in Sheffield, so I could stay with him possibly, if I needed to.  I can drive, but have no wheels at the mo.  Neither 2 or four!  :-(

chicky xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookish
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005 07:59:21 AM »

Wow - I'm so happy with the responses!  Sorry for being so absent but I lost internet shortly after posting.  The farm is near Bolton Abbey but I, alas, am down near Winchester at the mo'.  it's all a bit complicated when you first move, isn't it?  

I'm going to take these suggestions and do some more research and present something to my Uncle to prove that it's worth considering.  Something in the way of a proposal will be in order, I think.  

Thank you so much for the help and suggestions!  I have a lot more research to do, as I'm pretty new to all of this as well.  To be honest, I've never spun anything, but I'm really excited about this and determined that this years wool won't just be chucked out.

If anyone can help with more contact info for spinners/spinners groups/etc, or just tips for how things are done here that I might need to know...  Thank you everyone, really!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookish
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005 08:42:47 AM »

On a more personal note:  PurpleHeather - I've seen your crochet work on craftster before and they're gorgeous!  I never noticed your country before, so am pretty pleased right now.

RecycledEarth - that link looks so helpful!  I'm just waiting now to get my email to register.  Are you part of this site?  It looks amazing and exactly what I need.  Demos would be superb.  And if this does get off the ground then we'll definitely work out a way for you to be there, if I have to come and get you myself!

How much of the work do you think people would want to do themselves?  Sort of 'here is your fleece, this is the way of the fleece', step by step sort of thing?  (Sorry if this is garbled.  The lesson learned today is that coffee does not equal lunch).  How long do you think people would want the course to be?  I'd want to be sure that everyone got to take home enough of their own wool for a project (and a drop spindle to keep) but have no real idea how long that might make the course. As far as I can tell, the basic process goes: get the wool off the sheep, wash the wool, card the wool, spin the wool, dye the wool, carry the wool home reverently.  If everyone tried their hand at every bit, and got to watch some fabulous demonstrations, would that make the course too long? 

thanks again! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005 08:53:09 AM »

Ooh, me too! That sounds like such a fab idea, and would be great to get to meet Crafster folks too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahjayne

Pondering.....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005 01:48:27 AM »

I had the strangest dream about meeting craftster folks last night
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you forget the words.

I have me a wishlist thingy...see here

UK CRAFTERS!! Come to www.craftermath.co.uk Help us change the world
recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005 02:19:34 AM »

Aaah - public transport in the UK is generally fine.  Not amazingly cheap if you've not got a young person's railcard, but not too bad!  Where are you starting out from?

I'm coming from Bicester (Oxon).  I'll have to invest in a railcard eventually if I'm going to be taking the train very often, I think.

RecycledEarth - that link looks so helpful!  I'm just waiting now to get my email to register.  Are you part of this site?  It looks amazing and exactly what I need.  Demos would be superb.  And if this does get off the ground then we'll definitely work out a way for you to be there, if I have to come and get you myself!

I'm glad you registered!  I am part of CrAftermath, and thanks for offering to help me get there.  Smiley  Eventually I'll have to get over my fear of driving in England. 

How much of the work do you think people would want to do themselves?  Sort of 'here is your fleece, this is the way of the fleece', step by step sort of thing?  (Sorry if this is garbled.  The lesson learned today is that coffee does not equal lunch).  How long do you think people would want the course to be?  I'd want to be sure that everyone got to take home enough of their own wool for a project (and a drop spindle to keep) but have no real idea how long that might make the course. As far as I can tell, the basic process goes: get the wool off the sheep, wash the wool, card the wool, spin the wool, dye the wool, carry the wool home reverently.  If everyone tried their hand at every bit, and got to watch some fabulous demonstrations, would that make the course too long? 

I think the answer to that would depend on where the class was being held.  If it's at your uncle's farm, then I would say to show the whole process, from washing to carrying home.  (It might be a bit much to show people how to shear the wool!)  If we end up doing a demonstration at Craftermath, then you should probably start with wool that's already washed, and possibly carded.  One or two hours may be all that people are willing to spend in a class when it's part of a larger event.  Having never done it myself, I can't say how long spinning wool into yarn actually takes, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co.uk
chickybiker
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005 06:28:23 AM »

I've just remembered you can make felt from natural fleeces!  I watched Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall in his River Cottage programme making some.  It might be another avenue to explore?

Another thing would be to see if you can find some kind of 'spinning/weaving asscociation' type thingy, maybe they would be interested in advertising his fleeces for sale in their newsletters or something.  That's of course if there's any left after us Craftsters have got our paws on some!  ;-)

chicky xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005 06:38:11 AM »

I'm very interested in popping along.  I think I'd like to get to the point where Icould go away with a drop spindle and have a go at something.  Hmm..

How's this for a structure, based on a whole weekend thing.

Friday night - people arrive.  General chilling out and crafty activities, taking into account that Yorkshire & Lancashire people will arrive a long time before londoners, etc.  Maybe hav eone session that evening which is with prewashed, carded fleece, to get used to spinning things, then on the Saturday start with the washing, carding & on with the spinning.  Maybe a bit about dyeing on the sunday, and finish at lunchtime?

You might want to contact the york spinners & weavers guild:

http://www.yorks-guild-wsd.org.uk/

I found their site through hello.mango (on the spinning board)'s profile.  It might be worth contacting her too - she's a good spinner.

The guild are also having a drop spindle workshop on the 18th of feb...

bookish - thak you very much for the compliment - that means a lot to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookish
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005 07:04:19 AM »

I think that sounds like a great structure - certainly sounds like a course that I would be thrilled to take.

I'm just waiting on permission from my Uncle to use his fleeces / property.  He's got to check somethingorother on EU regulations and then he should be getting back to me.

Watch this space...  and thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...