A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
126 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A crying shame!  (Read 3881 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

bookish
« on: November 19, 2005 02:01:31 PM »

Hello all!  I just moved back to England. Yay, am happy to be back.

However, the very unhappy thing is that I just found out that my Uncle, who has a sheep farm in Yorkshire, has absolutely NO financially viable way to distribute the wool.  Last year he just chucked it away.  He couldn't get a price for it that covered petrol.  I heard that and nearly bust something.  It seems like there HAS to be something sensible to do here.  (Am I crazy?  Is this something that's going on?)

I was in America it seemed that a lot of people were getting interested in spinning their own yarn and learning how to dye it and such. 

Now, and this is a big 'now' as I haven't talked to my Uncle about this, say there was a veeerry reasonably priced weekend learn-how-to-spin-and-dye-wool course in Yorkshire, with all the free fibre you could carry away.  Is this something that people would be interested in taking?  Obviously I have no idea about prospective cost but I know it broke his heart to throw the wool away last year so we'd really just be talking cost coverage.

Let me know, guys and thanks for your time!  Happy crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005 06:54:17 AM »

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  Yes, and again yes.

I'm dying to learn to spin, and have no idea where to learn, or where to get stuff from.  I'm in Lancashire (no booing and hissing there, you over the border lass!) and I'd love to come along, dependant on when, etc.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005 07:00:31 AM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahjayne

Pondering.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005 12:48:18 AM »

I live in Yorkshire and I would definately be interested!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you forget the words.

I have me a wishlist thingy...see here

UK CRAFTERS!! Come to www.craftermath.co.uk Help us change the world
recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005 01:08:09 AM »

I would definitely be interested, but ::sigh:: that's a bit of a long way for me to drive, and I don't know anything about public transport.  Maybe if someone would go with me I'd be braver.  But it's a brilliant idea, and I think you should definitely do it!  It breaks my heart as well knowing that all of that wool went to waste!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co.uk
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005 01:26:39 AM »

I'm also definately interestred!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005 06:00:30 AM »

Recycled Earth - it may well be that if you were prepared to get a train to somewhere nearby, one of the craftsters who is driving over could come get you.

Bookish - whereabouts in Yorkshire are you, and how may people would you need to make it viable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recycled_earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005 06:24:18 AM »

Bookish, the girls at CrAftermath have been talking about doing some live demonstrations/classes at future CrAftermath events.  Do you think that a spinning demonstration or class would be possible?  I'm sure it would depend on where and when it was, but those are details we have yet to work out.  If you're interested, why don't you come on over to www.craftermath.co.uk, go to the forum, and let us know what you think.

If that doesn't work out, I will definitely be interested in carpooling with someone (or several someones) to get there.  I've never taken public transport here and I'm terrified!  I do have a big vehicle, though, and could fit many people in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

PurpleHeather
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005 07:22:03 AM »

That'd be cool - really shou;d get around to registering on myspace soon.  It's not going to happen tll after christmas though sadly.

Why terrified recycled earth?  Apart from that carpooling rocks, and takes al the boredom out of long journeys...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leylia

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005 07:28:56 AM »

I'll say that if it was reasonably priced, and I didn't have all these pesky "responsibilities" here in Texas, I'd TRAVEL to Yorkshire for an event like that.  Best of luck to you!  Keep us posted on how it goes, if it works out, etc.  You may be starting a trend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kindness isn't dead.  Promise.

R.I.P. Brett (1982-2007)
recycled_earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005 08:44:44 AM »

Why terrified recycled earth?  Apart from that carpooling rocks, and takes al the boredom out of long journeys...

Because I'm from Midwestern America, where the only "public transport" we had was city busses that no one ever took.  But, yes, carpooling is lots of fun and it would make the trip more memorable if I took 6 other people with me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005 02:11:52 PM by recycled_earth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...