A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: record cuff  (Read 17947 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

razorblademeg
♥ meghan manson ♥

bury u with meghan.death is in your future.

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2004 10:54:23 PM »

i was looking at my record bowls today and a thought popped into my head.

"I bet i could make all sorts of things out of records not just bowls" so I decided to stick one in the oven (150 - 200 for about 5 minutes) on a big flat piece of glass to warm it up so its soft and i cut it into slices then heated it up again (cause it cooled too soon for me to bend it) wrapped it around a hairspray bottle (a small one not a fat one) and taped it..pulled it of and let it cool..
the result was this.

(sorry about the blurr  my other camera is broken)
http://img70.photobucket.com/albums/v40/razorblademeg/recordcuff.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jessie
Goodmorning Starshine the Earth says HELLO!

Jazzzzmataz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004 05:05:55 PM »

That is really cool! I have heard about doing that but i never found actual instructions untill now!! Thanks a whole bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForevrBee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004 04:52:17 AM »

I, would also like to make one, But & this was after I read an article about a girl who makes & sells these among other items, I'd figure you would need a special Vinyl cutting machine in order to get a perfect cut without cracking the vinyl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
razorblademeg
♥ meghan manson ♥

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004 02:44:38 PM »

Just be carefull....its get really hot, and the labels might give u paper cuts. LOL

also the cut edges tend to be sharp..ive gotten cut a couple times u might wnat to file them down
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftpunk
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004 08:53:19 PM »

What did you use to cut the strips?  I have an insane amount of really sharp very high quality knives, but I don't want melted vinyl getting stuck to any of them. 

Also, did you simply use sandpaper to file the edges down?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rebound-designs.com 
Handcrafted Bling
begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004 02:31:25 AM »

What did you use to cut the strips?  I have an insane amount of really sharp very high quality knives, but I don't want melted vinyl getting stuck to any of them. 

Also, did you simply use sandpaper to file the edges down?

don't ruin your good knives, craftpunk! Cutting vinyl: I've just traced my shape (cuff, coaster, what-have-you) with a pencil, then scored it several times with an xacto/stanley knife, it sort of snaps then,tho careful as them shards are sharp! Then I sort of 'set' it on a low oven and bend it when soft to desired shape. I use low grade sandpaper to polish corners. I find the older the vinyl, the better. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
travtrav

i might love you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004 02:43:37 PM »

the vinyl doesn't really MELT, so don't worry about getting stuff stuck to your knives. it just gets really soft and pliable. at 200-220 degrees after five or six minutes, it's not even dentable with your finger or anything. and i have a paper cutter that i use to make mine. when the records are hot and bendy, the vinyl cuts just like cardboard. but yeah, you have to act fast. i can usually only make to or three cuts before throwing the pieces back in for a little bit. you could probably use a knife when you get them out of the oven, though. here are some that i've made:

kinda new-wavey. beeeeeorp beeeeeorpt!
travis
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009 01:12:41 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

travis<br />www.ilikeapplejuice.com
xtine821

I love Paris in the springtime....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005 09:47:42 PM »

FYI, don't use a hairspray bottle next time, even if it was empty, because hairspray is HIGHLY flammable and could cause an explosion in your oven.  My friend likes to play with fire and once she threw a hairspray bottle (empty) into a fire and it was a HUGE explosion!! DON'T DO IT!!!!  Maybe you could wrap it around a similar sized bottle, like spray on PAM oil for food (made to go in oven).

Also great idea on the record cuffs.  I've seen them online on sale for $15.  They have spray-adhesive vintage prints on the cuffs, I guess if you wanted to do it though, you could mod podge it.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The commonplace and everyday are the essence of experience." - Donald Pizer
razorblademeg
♥ meghan manson ♥

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005 11:29:09 PM »

LMAO i didnt put the can in the oven.

I wrapped the vinyl around it after it had cooled off a little and was allready shaped the can is just to help hold the shape
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005 12:59:05 AM »

Best method to shape vinyl is softing it in the hot water instead of in the oven. Just get a big bowl and put your vinyl in it (if you want to make a bowl out of it you better get another bowl to help to shape it) and pour hot water into vinyl, it will make it soft and help to keep the soft while it is still in the water. don't forget to wear gloves, ones you used to wash dishes would be enough sturdy to keep you unburnt. Then you can do anything you want, shape it , cut it bend it..
It is definetely a good method than the other...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Crochet Knotted Head Wrap
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...