A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,632
Currently Running With Scissors:
139 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Out of curiosity . . .  (Read 3463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2005 09:12:28 AM »

How many people here use recycled yarn as opposed to going out any buying new stuff all the time? And by recycling yarn, I mean going and buying sweaters or other knitted objects (second-hand, of course) and unravelling them.

Just curious. I told my ex-boss that I meant to do that to some sweaters I had, and she looked at me like I had a serious screw loose. This would have bothered me less if she hadn't been the assistant manager of a craft store where half their business is done in yarn. Treating me like I'm odd because I happen to take a different approach than she did . . . And no offense to her, but after two months or working there, I may not have been able to make a sweater (mostly due to lack of funds to buy enough yarn), but I sure as heck knew how to do more than she did, in terms of knitting . . .

Ahem. Job experiences aside . . . yeah. So how many of you do recycle yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005 10:15:15 AM »

I definitely unravel.  My newest project is the 1st time I've bought new yarn, a real splurge! It is great fun to buy new every now and again, but I want to knit far more that I'll ever be able to afford new, so no choice, really!  And I like the very idea of rescuing some lovely yarn from a terrible garment and making it into something wearable, as well as the opportunity that it affords for opting out of the whole capitalist-market thing.  (My new yarn comes from handpaintedyarn.com, which is both relatively cheap and a co-op!).  Don't less the less-enlightened get you down!  They don't know what they're missing...
eta. - I know that LOTS of people on here do unravel, if you look at the knitting threads much it's often mentioned-in-passing, as it were.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005 12:23:04 PM »

I first started unravelling sweaters when I lived overseas and had no access to yarn.  I had never heard of anyone doing that before, and this was before I discovered the masses of on-line knitters (I didn't have regular internet access).  I had a sweater I didn't like.  I wanted to knit something.  I figured out how to take it apart.  People looked at me like I was a mental patient.  Then they wanted me to make them something. 

I buy second hand sweaters (and use old ones from my own closet and my mom's closet) to recycle, but I also buy new, but cheap yarn.  About 50/50 I'd say.  I love the fact that I can get a whole sweater's worth of good yarn for a couple of bucks. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
kiwimum
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005 12:34:32 PM »

I recycle knitted articles often.  I have a health condition which prevents me working, so I have a lot of time for knitting, and I like to knit for various charities as it helps me feel I am contributing to society, in spite of being unable to work.  But I cannot afford to buy much new wool, so if I didn't unpick things from thrift shops I'd have nothing to knit with!

If the unravelled wool is clean & in good condition, it is sensible to reuse it.

But I can understand the lady from the shop that sells new yarn not liking the idea...less customers for her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aria
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005 12:58:51 PM »

how do you know which sweaters are going to be good yarn?  I don't knit but I do crochet and I have thought about doing this before - my problem is that i'm not a big fan of 100% wool because its ITCHY - does any of the other yarns unravel well too? (I know you have to get the kinks out...) Just curious HOW to look for sweaters to get yarn from...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005 05:33:07 PM »

i've tried but i failed to find any suitable jumpers to unravel.
australia (especially the less chilly parts) has a dearth of sweaters, generally. i'd still keep an eye out when op-shopping, but i don't hold out much hope.

i tend to turn to ebay to economise on yarn, or only buy on sale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005 06:21:10 PM »

I would definitely do this if I didn't live in a college/farm town where the thrift and second-hand stores SUCK! There's only mystery material, ugly, or cheapo sweaters. Or none.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
mizuiro
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005 06:28:11 PM »

I haven't really found a good sweater to unravel, but I did undo some cheapie knit tanks for practice.    It was only about $3, so it wasn't too bad.

If I ever get the right opportunity, I definitely will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
erincatherine
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005 06:30:34 PM »

I just unraveled my first sweater. It was a gift a few years back from a friend, and I love the friend and loved the yarn, but the sweater wasn't cutting it...It was a sweater coat, too, so I have tons and tons of yarn!! I am now hooked! I am going to the thrift store tomorrow (conveniently located in the same area as my LYS) before I go to the yarn store to see what I can find...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns.etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns.blogspot.com
tofuttibreak
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005 06:35:11 PM »

how do you know which sweaters are going to be good yarn?  I don't knit but I do crochet and I have thought about doing this before - my problem is that i'm not a big fan of 100% wool because its ITCHY - does any of the other yarns unravel well too? (I know you have to get the kinks out...) Just curious HOW to look for sweaters to get yarn from...
I see sweaters at the thrift store every day and I'm constantly trying to figure this out.
Does anyone have tips for what makes a good recycled yard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Sausage and Veggie Foil Pouch
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...