A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,883
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: grad cap box: NOW COMPLETED AND WITH PICS!  (Read 1482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2005 10:11:59 AM »

since in europe cap and gown isn't the norm, i wanted to make a little grad cap gift box for a friend who is giving his doctoral dissertation...

easy to make in theory, just a black cylindrical box with a flat square top glued on top... BUT how does one make  said box? i tried looking in craft stores for premade wooden ones to buy, but nothing was the right size. I can't find anything online on how to make a cylindrical box, so i am here on crafster begging for help.

inside will be some good luck pennies and cufflinks, so its a small box which i think makes it even harder. It has to be done by Friday (sat is the party)

Also, are there any meanings assosciated with the tassel (color, i knwo about the placement thing)? I was thinking of making it Orange, but i don't have any orange rope/ribbon (whatever that thick soft thread that looks like rope is called) because its his fav color, but i don't have any, I do have light blue...

Thanks in advance for replies

EDIT:
 Cheesy I'm such a goob! all it took was one night of work, two sheets of black construction paper, some glue, ribbon, scissors and a marmalade jar and paper clips (for the shape). It didn't turn out perfectly, but i think i did pretty well... Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005 07:46:17 PM by Graceful » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005 12:29:12 PM »

This might help you out on the tassel color...I don't know if its different in Europe or not...

http://www.herff-jones.com/capgown/college/special/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
goddessterri
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005 04:07:58 PM »

Something you might want to keep in mind is that the caps and the gowns vary based on the degree.  The standard PdD cap is usually a six or eight sided floppy thing -- kind of like a beret.  There are a lot of academic robe distributors online.  If you go to one of their sites you can get pictures and an explanation of the colors for the tassle.  If you have embroidery thread, that would work to make a cool tassle.  Good luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005 07:45:21 PM »

okay, i kept it really simple; here are the pics. THe tassel didn't come out as well as I would have liked, but i used wrapping/gift ribbon, which wasn't exactly the best choice  Tongue Roll Eyes. I stuck with Gold because its important color, and it goes well with black. I also stuck with the square shape because it would just be more obvious

Top & side view:

Tassel:

Inside Top: making the cylinders was the hardest part... it took me several tries to get the hang of it, and still its not perfect, but its good enough.

The gifts wrapped up in a wad of tissue paper

and subsequently placed inside the bottom half

when he takes the wad of tissue paper out, he'll see this; its the same as the top except it has a black circle lining with a message inside in lieu of a card. I only uploaded the thumbnail because its a personal message inside written. There's a famous author's quote in it, and in the wad containing the pennies there's a little piece of cardstock saying wishing him good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...