A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 315,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
246 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing machines that are good but cheap?  (Read 1842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

_So_
« on: November 14, 2005 05:37:13 AM »

Anyone got any recommendations for a good first sewing machine?  It can't be too expensive as I am a poor student but I really want to make some clothes! Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005 09:07:18 AM »

I can't tell you brand, but get one as simple as you can. If it doesn't do anymore than a straight stitch and a zig zag, that will do you just fine if you don't have alot of experience. My first machine was my Grandmother's from the 70's and she was almost professional. The machine had so many cams and wheels and settings that I couldn't even do a straight seam by myself. I gave up and didn't sew again until necessity determined that I start. I now have a very cheap and simple and cheap and breakable and low quality machine that I love sewing with, even if it is only a straight seam or zig zag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickybiker
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005 05:13:19 PM »

Get yourself off to www.freecycle.org and join your nearest group.  They may say you have to offer something first, but it can be anything someone else can make use of, like even an odd dining chair or unwanted clothing.  Then put on a WANTED post for a sewing machine.  You don't have to take the first one if you are offered more than one.  You can just say it's not right for your needs.

I was lucky, my fiance [before we split Grin ] bought me the lowest in the range in John Lewis's.  Their own brand.  It was a ton [100] and has a two year guarantee.  It's not bad if you take it gently.  It gets a bit rattly if you hammer it, which I put down to it being a cheaper machine.  As long as I treat it gentle, it's okay.  I sometimes forget and welly along like I used to when I was a machinist which isn't good.  The other thing was that it'd only cope with light fabrics.  I broke several needles before I borrowed his mums all metal hand crank machine to do the belt loops on my jeans.   Embarrassed

Then I got lucky and was the favourite reply to a woman who put her mums old machine on freecycle.  It's very basic but incredibly robust and quiet.  Took it to be looked at by my local v. friendly sewing machine repair dude and paid a measly 8 quid - I know!!!! *grins like a mad thing* to get it checked over and the wheel lock released.  [it just needed taking off and oiling - very easy job that I now know how to do]  He said it didn't need anything else and even told me I had the tension set up perfectly. Cheesy

Oh, by the way, my older machine is a 'Merritt', some of which are 'Singer's in disguise.  Singers - older ones, maybe 25+yrs, are solid workhorses, but don't just dismiss others coz of the name.  Sometimes good makes have a bad machine, sometimes 'bad' makes have the odd great one.

And if you don't get on with it, just give it back or put it back on Freecycle!

Easy!

If you try it and it works out, let us know, yeah?

chicky xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tofuttibreak
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005 05:16:10 PM »

If you get one from freecycle or buy one used from the thrift store or a yard sale, you can have it serviced. I bought my machine used and then paid $60 to have it cleaned and serviced. Now it runs really well. You can also order a lot of older manuals online. Mine was $10, but a lot of them are free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...