A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
193 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing virgin needs advice  (Read 2487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

starmeg
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004 09:23:17 PM »

I agree with shade_n_shadow about Make your own patterns by Rene Burgh, it's the first book I used (I got it out of the library, you could check your local library to see what they've got).  I draft all my own patterns, because that way they are exactly how I want them (in theory, anyway, things don't always turn out how I think they will) and they FIT me properly.  Skirts, especially, are really really really easy (emphasis on the easy) to draft and hard to get wrong.

I also have a big fat Readers Digest sewing and knitting guide book tht I got from a town fair, and it tells me everything I need to know once I've designed and got my pattern - facings, linings, waistbands....

Also, there are some night classes (I use the term loosely) at a local high school where I live that you can go to and the woman who takes the class will help with anything from learning the basics to more complicated manouvres.

Hope that all helps. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004 06:53:49 PM »

i'm in providence, but my friend & i often drive up to N.Attleboro, the jo-anne fabrics there is better than any other one i've been to.  especially if you're looking for cheap - they mail you that awesome 50% off coupon that i always forget to use...  there's an incredible place here in RI called Ryco that has fabric, ribbon, trim, styrofoam, fake flowers, little plastic things... super cheap & the velvet remnants are incredible...  it's definitely worth a trip for any crafty person.

the most helpful book i've got is "sewing made easy" which my grandmother got as a christmas present in 1952!  i know there are lots of fun flashy & picture-full books out there, but when ever i need to know a straight-forward basic clothes-sewing technique i open this book.  not that you can find this book anywhere, like schquimpy said, a local used book store probably has tons of old sewing manuals.  these books are much more practical, and the illustrations are awesome

and the helpful advice!  "Are you top-heavy? If you bust is large in proportion to your waist and hips.....  No frilly collars unless you want to look matronly."

THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
NYCDesignerG
Fashion Sewing NYC Nightlife

Style is developed not the latest trend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004 06:59:58 PM »

Hey there!  The lady who wrote Sew Fast Sew Easy owns a school where she makes easy to use patterns.  I attended her courses and used all of the patterns on the site.  I highly recommend reading the book and check out her site, www.sewfastseweasy.com, for additional patterns.  Otherwise, kwik sew patterns are easy to find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004 09:48:44 PM »

I like www.reprodepot.com for fabrics. They have everything.,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...