A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,293
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chan Luu scarf .... $115 on bluefly.com  (Read 17734 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

MopTopStumptown
« on: November 08, 2005 10:16:06 AM »

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2016793761&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9920227&N=9920227&Ne=500000&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1&Nu=Product+ID#

Can someone help me figure this out? Looks super simple to make a knock-off. 

Make a ring.
Round 1: 10 dc on ring.
Round 2: 2 dc in each st (20 total)
Round 3: *2 dc, 1 dc* repeat until the end.

make a zillion of the motif and then join? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005 12:40:36 PM »

It also has a thin edging to it. Wow, that would take a while to finish. It'd be cool if you did the little circles in co-ordinating colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005 08:25:20 PM »

Wow, there's got to be a better way besides making the motifs and joining them separately.  I'm sure an innovative crocheter could find a way to join during the creation process, I just am not sure how.  But you could make something like that by doing squares of straight dc... 

You'd make a base chain, then make enough chain to go around the corner, up to the point of a square, then make enough chain for the edge of a square and slip stitch into the base chain where the bottom point would go, then dc back and forth on the small section of chain until you had a square, then chain for the bottom edge of the next square, slip into the base chain, etc until you've completed the row, then do some more chaining, and on the next row, slip stitch into the points of the squares from the row below.  I suppose it wouldn't be as delicate looking, but the overall effect would be very similar and it would be MUCH less mess!  I'll see if I can come up with an example since I'm sure I'm not explaining it well...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005 08:29:59 PM »

oh...that's adorable.

and extremely expensive. holy cow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
jezebelfreek
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005 05:37:54 PM »

Wow. Love the scarf, hate the price. Who honestly spends that much on a scarf?!

Sorry, I can really help you on how to do it though Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://antigone.etsy.com  <- Go shoppity!
happythermia

On the beachside, combing the sand.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005 05:41:48 PM »

Wow that is pretty amazing....the only way I could think would be like your idea....making a zillion little circles, joining them together, then doing a st all the way around or something.

I might actually try that when I get home Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decarillion
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005 12:16:49 PM »

I think this would work:

Make the first motif--they really do look like squares except that there doesn't seem to be the ch 2 or 3 between the stitches in the corners that you'd find in a granny square. When you create the next motif, on the last row, at a corner, chain one, sl or sc into the corner of the first square, ch 1, then continue working on the second square. When you create the third one, do the same thing, and so on. Just be sure that you are joining them in a diagonal way, as in the scarf.

At least I think that would work LOL I love working in motifs simply because I can carry my work anywhere and it can be contained in my regular purse instead of carting around a separate workbag Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005 01:38:29 PM »

What about a yo-yo scarf?  I know this isn't the exact same, but it's an idea.  Mimicking the same layout as the one at bluefly shouldn't be that difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005 04:46:07 PM »

That is really cute.  The thought of joining all those tiny squares makes me think the price isn't all that bad!  And the yarn looks tiny, almost like thread.
If you have the patience for it though, you could totally do it. Make a bunch in a row in one direction, the add upward with each additional row? Or just make rows and then sew them together.  Then add the edging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005 05:04:36 PM »

wow that just makes my hand cramp just thinking about it

yeah that is some seriously thin yarn...you could probably get some machine knitting yarn that comes on a cone pretty cheap on ebay

to me it looks like they joined the disks with a sl stitch as they went

I would work the disks individually. then leave enough yarn on each to do a simple chain or sl stitch all the way around & go back & attach them at once. That seems like a lot of work. You could always cheat & sew them together.

isnt it convenient that the closeup pic doesnt show a section where it is joined
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...