A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,448
Currently Running With Scissors:
249 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: increasing biz in the UK, Canada, Austrailia, NZ  (Read 2603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Aunt Beep

Aunt Beep loves you!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2004 09:12:44 AM »

Hi all,
I'm working ot gain more exposure for my site in other English speaking countries outside the US. Besides trading international links (bring em on!) does anyone have any ideas as to where I might post/promote my url...I'm thinking local online publications, ezines or community sites.
Is there any type of "Daily Candy" site I could contact or link up with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.auntbeep.com
An online boutique & gallery showcasing fresh, talented Los Angeles designers and artists.
neany

So let your hips do the talking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004 11:35:44 AM »

Well you could trade links with me for a start, I'm just about to get my website open for business and I'm in the UK!

As for a Daily Candy type site, I haven't found one yet. Here in the UK, I don't think we're there yet on the buying online, I'm hoping thats changing though! If I find anything I'll be sure to let you know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Beep

Aunt Beep loves you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004 11:19:55 AM »

That's really interesting about the UK not into the online thing yet.  What makes you say that??  I suppose I should do some research in that area to see which countries really do embrace online shopping.

Anyway, I'll totally trade links, email me when your site is finished and I'll put you in.  Good luck! LOVE the houndstooth handbag!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An online boutique & gallery showcasing fresh, talented Los Angeles designers and artists.
neany

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004 12:30:58 PM »

Well, the internet just hasn't been as big a thing for as long here as there, it's only in the last two, maybe three years that I'd say it's been getting more and more mainstream. Before then it was just the yuppies and businessmen that had it! I just don't think that a, people here completely trust the internet for shopping and b, we have loads of cities fairly close together, so it's not too hard to get to a major shopping center.

I might be totally off though!

I will email you when I'm done though, and thanks for the compliment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mj_elizabeth
maryjean

I love my staple gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004 10:52:51 PM »

I'm from Canada and I find that when I'm on an american site the currency exchange is to overwhelming for me Undecided I can't convert prices and then I have to wonder about shipping. Then sometimes the site has a page about shipping costs which confuses me too because when they say shipping to Canada is 1$ do they mean Canadian dollar or American dollar? Maybe you could have different prices listed with an "A" before the american price, a "C" before the Canadian price, and so on. Also when I view your website it is to big for my screen so to see what the bottom row of words in the menu thingy-ma-bobber are I have to get hid of my status bar and standard buttons on my browser. Usually when I visit sites like this I'm too impatient(and I'm a pretty patient person in my opinion) to screw around with the buttons and I just leave the site. So maybe size down the menu ma-bobber-thingy for people with smaller screens. Cheesy Oh yea.....I like your stuff too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neany

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004 07:59:38 AM »

It's really not practical to list different currencys on a site, I mean, where do you stop? I'm in Europe, I can't list all the European currencys the list would be enormous! lol A site in America that offers international shipping would be hard too, ok Canadian dollars can be added, but then do you add the British pound too? And the Australian dollar...then the New Zealand dollar? You see what I'm trying to say? lol I think it's best to stick to your countries currency, if you're in another country it's not hard to find currency converters, I'm linking one on the menu bar of the shop on my site so it's always there. I'm very aware of this as I use a lot of American sites and yes I do find it slightly confusing when it's in dollars, but when doing so I always have a converter open in another wondow!

Sorry I rambled somewhat lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpaceCraft
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004 09:18:34 AM »

It's really not practical to list different currencys on a site, I mean, where do you stop? I'm in Europe, I can't list all the European currencys the list would be enormous!

there's only 1 currency in most of europe lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neany

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004 09:35:05 AM »

Well yes, there's a lot less than before 1999 granted, but there's still the British Pound, the Euro, the Denmark Krone, the Lira in Malta, the Sewish krona, the Swiss franc...just off the top of my head. Regardless, my point is, with all the different currencies over the world, where do you stop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004 02:00:54 PM »

I'm from Canada and I find that when I'm on an american site the currency exchange is to overwhelming for me Undecided I can't convert prices and then I have to wonder about shipping. Then sometimes the site has a page about shipping costs which confuses me too because when they say shipping to Canada is 1$ do they mean Canadian dollar or American dollar? Maybe you could have different prices listed with an "A" before the american price, a "C" before the Canadian price, and so on.
Well yes, there's a lot less than before 1999 granted, but there's still the British Pound, the Euro, the Denmark Krone, the Lira in Malta, the Sewish krona, the Swiss franc...just off the top of my head. Regardless, my point is, with all the different currencies over the world, where do you stop?
i agree with both of you, i find that buying from U.S websites can be really confusing (i live in Canada now) but after having living in Europe (Switzerland and Turkey) i can see where neany is coming from. i'd say that the best way is to contact the person who is selling the goods and try to talk to them and ask them what the price would be for a canadians (swiss, british etc) i've found this to be really usefull.
hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004 10:13:35 AM »

im really interested in starting up a website to sell my stuff (im just looking around this site trying to get some ideas of how to go about it now) wouldnt it be a lot easier to just say on the opening page that you are a Canadian (or other) website and that all dollars are in Cdn or US or whatever it is. I liked the idea of having a link to a currency converter. kudos neany!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Beep

Aunt Beep loves you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004 11:49:06 AM »

Am I totally off thinking that if you purchase via Paypal (which is what I'm currently using) everything will be converted to your currency?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neany

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004 07:51:12 PM »

It will be I think, I'm not sure, but it's not til after you checkout, in the email you receive? Or until you're about to checkout? I'm not sure, I've not used paypal much myself...maybe I should do some more buying and find out! lol

I liked the idea of having a link to a currency converter. kudos neany!

thankyou, *takes a bow* lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mew
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004 10:19:00 PM »

I also live in Canada, and the other thing that irks me about buying things online is shipping.

Even if the price seems reasonable when converted into CDN$, often the added expense of shipping is more than enough to turn me off a product. A US$10-15 item seem very enticing, but loses its appeal (to me at least), when I find out that getting the item to me would cost anywhere from US$5-10 anyway.

Sure, if I buy multiple items it's often possible to ship them together for the same cost, but to date I have never bought more than one thing from an online vendor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004 08:44:14 AM »

i just bought like 52 bucks US of candle stuff from a site then after they added the shipping (not including changing into Cdn money) it ended up beign 70 bucks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004 04:34:51 AM »

i haven't found any directories for UK online stores. it really does make me mad.

so...i was thinking about setting one up, anyone interested?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Spinach and Potato Baked Eggs
@Home This Weekend: Hamper Revamp
Tute Tuesday: Felt Owl Costume

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...