A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,896
Currently Running With Scissors:
323 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Party Like its 1999 (prom-themed New Years Eve party)!  (Read 1948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
leeska
« on: November 04, 2005 01:30:20 PM »

I am planing to have a New Years Eve Party, and I have great old prom dresses I really want to wear again, so I decided to make it prom themed. I graduated from high school in 1999 so "Party like it's 1999" seemed like a good theme. 

Here's what I have thought of so far:
1)people can wear old prom dresses/tux or little black dresses and ties, I don't want people to buy anything just for my party 
2) we can listen to all kinds of music from the 90's, but also some old favorites from the 80's (including OF COURSE Prince)
3) Maybe we could crown prom "king" and "queen"

Other then that I need ideas for everthing - food, decorations, games/activities, etc.
I will be having this party in my apartment - not tons of room, but I can rearrange the furnature enough for people to dance, although if people don't feel like dancing we could watch a "prom related" movie from the 90's like "10 things I hate about you" or something, and I don't have lots of money so the cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance for all your great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap it like it's HOT...I do personal swaps.

http://www.wists.com/Leeska
brookem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005 08:49:15 PM »

this party sounds like a perfect opportunity to remember all the reasons why we should be grateful that the 90's are over... and indulge in the vices of that decade one more time.

1. watch 'napoleon dynamite', 'dirty dancing' and 'lootloose' for clothing, dancing, and fashion inspiration (the last two are actually from the 80's but           they contain good dance/ party scenes)

2. make tacky (and therefore cheap) decorations- streamers, balloons, shapes cut out of construction paper- even better, give your 'prom' a completely bizarre theme- like 'copacabana' or 'outer space'. they always used to have dances like that at one of my old schools- there was a colour-blind teacher on the dance commitee.

3. rent, borrow or steal some party lights- at the very least some fairy lights and a disco ball or one of those lights that plug into your speaker and change with the music

4. in new zealand, you can borrow CDs from the public library- if you are able to do the same- its a great place to get a bunch of CDs with out spending any money- especially if you are only going to want them for the night.

5. give everyone a corsage (use fake flowers) as they arrive. print a few examples of 90's lingo on the back of the invites you send out- encourage your guests to use them.

6. pretend that you actually are teenagers- apart from voting for a king and queen, vote for other titles- for example- most likely to succeed/ start an internet company/ get divorced etc.

thats all i can think of for now.... gimme a day and i'll think of some more stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
leeska
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005 04:58:30 PM »

I love the suggestions so far, especially the voting on "most likely to start an internet company" and silly stuff like that - plus silly prizes of course. I was thinking of having some kind of photo booth so people could take pictures with their "dates."  I was also thinking of playing twister( because I think people playing twister in prom gowns is hysterical) but I don't know how to tie it into the theme - maybe put pictures of highschool teachers or teen stereotypes on the circles - you know "right foot, band geek" type of thing.  I also need something cool to do at midnight - maybe bust up 4 pinatas that say the number of the year-  but if I could figure out how to do a balloon drop that might be the coolest.  A balloon drop might be hard because it's going to happen in my apartment and my ceilings are low.

I was also thinking that maybe I could have the girls over for a day of primping before hand and have little spa treatments - after all part of the fun of prom was getting ready with your friends!

Keep the great suggestions coming.  Let me know if you think of great ideas for invitations, because the should go out soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap it like it's HOT...I do personal swaps.

http://www.wists.com/Leeska
brookem
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005 09:16:02 PM »

the spa idea sounds like fun- also it will mean that you'll have some friends around to help you set up and it will eliminate the awkwardness which always ensues when the first few guests arrive. costume jewelry would make good party favours... this would also be the time to eat and drink all the things you don't want to spill on you prom dresses.

make invites which look like something a high school would send out (i am presuming that y'all would have been teenagers during the 90's)- like flyers or cards with a school crest or mascot (make your own or use one from your alma mater). you could also have people bring along a picture of themselves during the 90's, then everyone can try and guess who every else is (put them all up on a tack board).

make a large, themed cardboard cutout of something which relates to your prom's theme- have people pose for polaroid pictures in front of it.

you can buy special bags which hold balloons for balloon drops, but you really need a high ceiling. at midnight you could hand out party hats, poppers, whistles etc, play a classic 90's song and count down the seconds.

party games could also be hula hooping, ring toss, etc- simple games which will remind people of their yonger days. and don't forget to spike the punch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
ahhlechic
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005 11:20:51 PM »

We are also having a Prom Themed New Years Eve Party.  Our theme is "On the Edge of a Dream"  We are doing a photo area thing as well.  I think we are going to get some sparkliy fabric to drape in the back ground.  We are going to send copies of the pictures to the guests in paper frames and maybe doing memory books.  We are also doing "Hair of the Dog" gift bags.  I know its not prom related, but its definately NYE party related.  We are looking for barf bags and filling them with single serving cans of champagne, aspirin, wet naps, condoms, alkaselter, breath mints, etc. 

I like the voting for the class characters.  I was thinking about voting "prom king and queen" also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005 11:47:08 PM »

in that case, tacky plastic crowns and tiaras are a must. invest/ beg /borrow in a polaroid camera or a digital camera and printer for instant gratification
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...