A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I suck with exacto knives  (Read 13934 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Tappanga
Stop hatin', start participatin'!

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2004 08:15:56 AM »

Ok, I've tried repeatedly to make stencils. I've tried with contact paper. I've tried with stencil plastic. I've decided I suck with exacto knives.

I need tips, please. Do you move the knife or the stencil when you're cutting? I've found that moving the stencil is easier, but the stencil still comes out looking like eight forms of hell.

Oh and I should probably mention the only things I've tried to stencil were words.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004 08:19:22 AM by Tappanga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004 08:51:59 AM »

Here are some exacto knife tips that might help:

1. Make sure the blades are sharp (dull blades are actually more dangerous!)
2. Cut out the smallest area of any stencil (or other project first)
3. Move the stencil around frequently to find the easiest way to cut out whatever needs cutting out.
4. ALWAYS CUT AWAY FROM YOURSELF!!!
5. Never catch a falling knife. (just kidding!)
6. Practice makes perfect.

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004 09:02:05 AM »

Another vote for sharp blades, they make a world of difference.
Use a metal ruler as a cutting guide for straight lines.
Don't put too much pressure on the blade, if you have to run the cut twice, that's better than pressing too hard.
Try different cutting surfaces, cardboard is cheap and protects your tables, but it also dulls blades quickly and grips the blade (which makes it harder to cut curves and drage the knife along the line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004 11:40:54 AM »

I had a hard time at first too. I bought a scalp-like knife that I hold like a pencil and use a plastic kitchen cutting board, that seems to have helped me. Oh I also use overhead paper(transparency paper) it's stiffer than contact paper and I stick it to the cloth with double sided tape.  Good Luck and don't give up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004 12:17:35 PM »

I'm not actually sure what exactly it is you mean when you say exacto-knife, but I assume its one of those where you can change the blade and the handle is made out of plastic...?? Anyway, I suck at those too.

As a graphic designer, I ALWAYS use scalpels. (oh, that sounded really pretensious, but it's true...) Proper surgical scalpels, the non-sterile type. You can buy different shape blades for whatever you're cutting out.  Going back to using one of those 'hobby-knives' after you get used to a scalpel is like cutting fabric with those child-proof plastic scissors... Cheesy

I personally wouldn't dream of trying to cut out a stencil with anything else, and don't worry, scalpels are not as scary as they sound....  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004 07:45:35 AM »

I had a hard time at first too. I bought a scalp-like knife that I hold like a pencil and use a plastic kitchen cutting board, that seems to have helped me. Oh I also use overhead paper(transparency paper) it's stiffer than contact paper and I stick it to the cloth with double sided tape.  Good Luck and don't give up!

I've been wondering about the overhead paper. It seems a happy medium between the two things I've tried. The knife I have is scalpel-like. It's pen shaped with interchangable blades. The blades are sharp because I rarely use them because whatever I try to do looks like hell and I get mad halfway through and throw the stencil away. I'll try the transparency paper. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004 06:50:00 PM »

x-acto makes all sorts of blades, scalpel ones, too.  it really helps if you get one of the softer handled x-actos, they're much more comfortable than the old kind.  you can also sharpen them with a knife sharpener, that way it stays super sharp, but isn't as wasteful. 

if you're cutting straight lines use a steel ruler.  not an aluminum one.  the aluminum rulers are a little better than plastic, but the blade can still skip off it easily.  i know.  i sliced off the edge of my thumb many times during all-nighters when i was in college!  and the cork-backing, although less slipping & is good for ink lines, is less precise when cutting.

*e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004 08:07:58 AM »

Putttttt theeee kknniifffeee dddowwwnnnn. SStttteeppp aaaawwaayyyy fffrroommmmmm ttthheee kkknniiffeeee!  Tongue

Hahahahhahahahaha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004 07:57:52 AM »

You're a genius.

I bought this stuff over the weekend and tried it last night. MUCH easier to cut. Haven't tried to stencil yet (that's tonight). Not I don't suck with exacto knives, I suck at cutting out the letter S. Hahahaha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftpunk
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004 08:07:16 AM »

I second the recommendation for the soft grip exactos.  It's amazing the difference that a wider handle makes, and your fingertips won't go numb as fast. 

A tip for cutting letters.  Turn your stencil the wrong way, so the letters are mirror image.  If you're trying to cut while reading the letters, you're focusing on the actual letter rather than the line you're cutting.  And of course, move your stencil rather than your knife. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rebound-designs.com 
Handcrafted Bling
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...