A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,448
Currently Running With Scissors:
252 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: International Shipping  (Read 14308 times)
Tags for this thread: international_shipping  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004 08:38:19 AM »

It can get a little complicated shipping internationally...
First off, you need to make sure your international customers know
1) Payment has to be in US $$
2) What payment methods to use (Can you take international money orders, for example? Or just Paypal?)
3) That shipping will be much more than the quoted price for US customers.

Your options with payment methods will depend on the country. Check with your bank/credit union to see what payment types you can deposit. I do NOT take Canadian Postal money orders because my credit union has to mail them to Canada for "collection" and it takes a month or two months (yep, MONTHS) for the money to actually get back to me. It is very easy for anyone to send you a money order for an auction using www.auctionpayments.com or they can use Western Union to send a regular old wire transfer or money order for other stuff (Like off your website). When I accept paper money orders from other countries I require that they be drawn on a US bank. I know that people in the UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, Japan, and Mexico can definitely get these. Money orders will usually have the bank's name and address on the front-- it'll be obvious the money order is drawn on a US bank because they bank's address will be in the US.
Paypal is probably the easiest, but just keep in mind that if the buyer ends up to be a fraud you do NOT get your money back. Paypal will remove the money from your account and there is nothing you can do about it.
Of course you can always accept cash in USD. This is usually the easiest for Asian countries other than Japan and Singapore.
You may want to specifically list the countries you can ship to. I only ship to Japan, Australia, Canada, and the UK because I know I can accept payments from those countries. I have had problems shipping to Germany (the girl had to pay more than the item was worth in taxes because the item got held up in customs- it was trading cards!) and the Netherlands. My major problem with shipping internationally was people being surprised at how much it costs or not realizing they couldn't send me a money order in their own currency.
If you're going to ship internationally, you'll want to buy a postal scale. Because the rates can vary so dramatically with just a small weight increase, it would be easy to undercharge and end up losing money.
Also, you don't want to use surface mail. Items are frequently damaged this way and it often takes two or three months for items to get to their destination. Require the buyers to pay for Global Priority (which is often CHEAPER than airmail) or airmail.
Anyway I hope this helps a little! In the end, you have to really decide if it's even worth it... You may just want to ship to Canada- it's around the same cost in shipping and payment is much easier than from anywhere else...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
lexscreations
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004 08:49:15 AM »

Anyway I hope this helps a little! In the end, you have to really decide if it's even worth it... You may just want to ship to Canada- it's around the same cost in shipping and payment is much easier than from anywhere else...
Wow.  Thank you!  Smiley  Seems like I should just ship inside the US and maybe to Canada for the time being, at least until my business gets a little "bigger."  Shipping internationally may be more trouble than it's worth for me at this time.  But it's good to know what the options are, just in case.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Spinach and Potato Baked Eggs
@Home This Weekend: Hamper Revamp
Tute Tuesday: Felt Owl Costume

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...