A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple window perch for cats  (Read 3062 times)
Tags for this thread: cat_perch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
nicrosin
« on: October 22, 2005 01:05:32 PM »

The cats were in need of a perch or tree, I had some junk laying around the garage (free scrap from Lowe's), and instead of throwing them out I came up with a two level cat perch so the cats could look out the window.

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/3409/kittenperch3ux.th.jpg
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010 12:09:18 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005 05:42:32 PM »

Those are great!  And I'm sure your cats love them too.  And hey, they were pretty much free, plus 50 points for that!!

Do they have trouble staying up there, do they slip off?  I guess you could go to the carpet remnant store and get some small pieces for next to nothing, and glue them on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
nicrosin
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005 06:05:56 PM »

They haven't had any problems getting on it, but I agree with you about adding carpet... I have a lot of leftover carpet from when I made them a scratching post so I'll use that, thanks for the suggestion! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xoxcitylovexox

Hi my name is Jessica I have a yarn buying problem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005 06:56:48 PM »

thats really nifty... my cat loves to sit in the window and now that winters coming he keeps sitting under them and crying... i think ill have to get my uncle to make me one of those for him Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liquorice
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005 04:30:42 AM »

nicrosin, your cat perch looks great! I have a question when you made your scratching post for you cats, how did you make it. I'm planning on making one, covering PVC-pipe with leftover carpet. I'm thinkin about using a gluegun to attach it, do you think that would hold up? I don't think I could use nails or staples in a PVC-pipe. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You do it to yourself, you do, and that's why it really hurts.
You do it to yourself, just you, you and no one else.

Radiohead
nicrosin
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005 07:21:50 AM »

nicrosin, your cat perch looks great! I have a question when you made your scratching post for you cats, how did you make it. I'm planning on making one, covering PVC-pipe with leftover carpet. I'm thinkin about using a gluegun to attach it, do you think that would hold up? I don't think I could use nails or staples in a PVC-pipe. Thanks.

Thanks! I'm not sure, but I don't think gluegun glue will hold up to the stress of the cats clawing at it, so you might have better luck with something stronger like Gorilla Glue. You are right about nails/staples not working with PVC, they'll most likely just pop out.

If you happen to go the wood route, all I did was take a 1-2 foot block of wood and attach stabilizer legs to the base, then nailed the carpet to it. It's extremely stable this way. I don't have a picture of it right now, but from the topside view it looks like this:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2893/scratchingpost9eg.jpg
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010 12:10:20 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...