A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
125 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ressurrecting dead gel pens?  (Read 2251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
escapingscorpio
« on: October 19, 2005 10:02:07 AM »

I just pulled out a pack of gel pens (Sakura Gelly Roll brand) that have been sitting for 2 years or so...some of them are not working but some are.  All were tightly capped.

Is this a lost cause or is there a trick to getting these guys working again?  I would hate to toss them if they can be saved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artymoi
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005 05:28:16 PM »

How sad no one has an answer for this one.  I've got the same problem and have been looking all over the net for the solution.  Might try just breaking them open at this point and seeing if the ink can be used in any way at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
binderclips
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005 05:35:54 PM »

well i dunno about saving the pens...
but when i was in 5th grade, my friend and i would open up the pens and get the ink thingie and remove the lil tip... and then blow from the end farthest from the ink. then u can use the ink kinda like paint. sorta lol. im not sure if this would work on the old pens though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
escapingscorpio
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005 05:22:58 PM »

I did get a suggestion from a scrapbooking friend to try heating up the tip with a lighter to see if the clog can be melted from the tip.  I haven't tried it yet though, so I have no idea if it works. 

I have searched the 'net too and haven't found any advice. 

I guess it serves me right for neglecting my pens for so long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecraftyminx

To fail is to try in the first place.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005 06:01:35 PM »

have you tried pouring boiling water into a mug, and placing the innards of the pen (the inky tube bit) into the water??  ok, maybe not quite boiling cos it will make the plastic warp and you may not get it back into the casing again!!  I found this works brilliant with mascara/nailvarnish/foundation....anything oil based basically....wonder if it will work with the ink?  I know felt tip pens can be revived by adding a dilute vinegar solution to the inner felt colour tube   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artymoi
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005 06:18:52 PM »

well I'll try the warming suggestions next time I bring them out.  I did hear something NEVER TO DO - don't put them in the microwave - apparently they explode big time!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005 06:22:37 PM »

It may help to store them upright - point end down - for a few days.  Then do the warm water routine to dissolve any ink glob.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005 06:52:08 PM »

I have done the whole blowing into it as well. Usually, that triggers it temporarily. I am curious to know what worked because I have a ton of these pens and most of them don't work either.

Let me know what works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafty kid. I just can't help myself.
Scrapcrazycreations
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005 07:37:56 PM »

I personally hate gel pens!  But I know that if you want them to last longer... storing them in the fridge does the trick.  But I always have problems with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005 09:30:41 AM »

I've always popped the end off and blown (with a regular piece of paper on the table so I don't ruin my scrapbook). that seems to work. Also, we've used the lighter trick before at crops to warm up the pen.  It helps to store them horizontal as opposd to vertical. Even storing them point down wil lcause the ink to run to the point and might leak out into your pen container.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...