A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 315,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
279 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moosewood's Better Apple Pie - Mmmmmmmm...  (Read 4768 times)
Tags for this thread: apple , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Jaci
« on: October 03, 2005 09:07:51 PM »

I just took this out of the oven and it looks and smells sooooooooo good. It's for a Rosh Hashana party tomorrow night - I can't wait to eat iiiittt. Before I serve it, I'm going to drizzle caramel and sprinkle dried cranberries on top, so I'll be sure to take some pictures then.

Here's the recipe from Moosewood Restaurant's "New Classics" cookbook...all vegetarian!

Fruit Filling:
8 cups peeled and sliced apples
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon unbleached white flour

10-inch pie crust, unbaked (I bought mine frozen)

Crunchy Streusel Topping: (I made double the amount of this - my pie crust was filled with a heaping pile of apples, and the amount of topping the recipe called for just wasn't enough)
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 butter or margarine
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 toasted and coarsely chopped almonds (I didn't toast them - they toast when the pie is baking)

*Preheat oven to 400 degrees F*

In a large bowl, mix together the apples, lemon peel, lemon juice, sugar, cranberries, and flour. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar for the topping. Work the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the oats and almonds and mix well. Spread the topping evenly over the apples.

Bake for 55 - 60 minutes (I did 50 minutes and it turned out perfectly), until the apples are tender and the crust is golden brown.

Eat  Grin

*If you find that the topping is beginning to burn before the pie is done baking, loosely lay a sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the pie, and it should be fine.*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grumpybear42
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005 06:45:24 AM »

This is my favorite Apple Pie recipe, too.  I used it last year.  Enjoy the pie.  Happy Rosh Hashannah. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Crochet Rainbow Scarf
Let it Snow!
Meatless Monday: Cauliflower Spinach Puree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...