A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,627
Currently Running With Scissors:
157 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The best scanner...please help!  (Read 1924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tofuttibreak
« on: September 25, 2005 08:50:13 AM »

This is only slightly craft related, but I really need help choosing a scanner.
I want to buy a good quality scanner for scanning pages of my craft books and paper projects.
I would like to spend as little money as possible while still getting something that does a good
job and lasts a while. I've looked at reviews online, but "site A" will say that one is great and
then "site B" will say that it's awful. I know that several of you have great scanners, so I'm
begging for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005 06:28:46 AM »

I have a 3 in 1 machine.  A Canon Multi-pass.  It wasn't cheap.  At the time, it was for business use.  The main thing I looked at, were, the quality of the print, and the price of the ink.  On the cheaper machines, the print quality was poor, and the ink was expensive.  I've had my machine for 4 years now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenie_was_a_blonde
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005 09:32:29 PM »

I love, love, love my HP 3-in-1 (printer/scanner/copier).  The colors always turn out great, and you can just directly photocopy something if you don't want to save it to your computer.  You can also get a model with a fax machine, but I think it costs a bit more.  My model cost me about $200, and it was definitely worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who's that guy on that motorcycle?
What would they say if they knew it was Michael?
rowenlynn

pie makes it all better...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005 05:58:55 PM »

Hi there. New to crafters.org, but wanted to respond. As a illustrator, Epson has the best; great dpi range, good color values (some have issues with blacks/dark gray, but that can be cleaned up in like photoshop). You can get a <a href="http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-13268">refurbished one </a>off of epson's site (I did) for under $100. I'd recomend the 1670, 2400, 2480, or 2580.

Gwen
<a href="http://www.gwendolynart.com">www.gwendolynart.com</a>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tofuttibreak
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005 10:04:28 AM »

Thanks guys!
I think I'll try an Epson. The 2580 looks like it would work well for me.
I don't really need a three in one--we have no home phone line.
But, I had one before we moved and I really liked the copier function.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
typenerd
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005 07:56:31 PM »

I'm a graphic designer and highly highly highly recommend the Epson PHOTO lines of scanners. I've got a 3170 at home and it's fantastic!!! Don't buy another scanner, this one is super fast and highly resolute. I have a much more expensive version at work that does digital ICE, larger transparency scanning, etc, and it's basically the same scanner for flat work as the cheap ones; so get the $100 one!

The latest Epson PHOTO 3490 goes for about $100. Don't settle for another scanner; I can't recommend this enough. I've done hundreds of scans with a variety of scanners and the Epson's are the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005 07:58:46 PM »

Thanks so much!
I've been holding out trying to make a decision and I've been looking at all of the Epsons.
I think I'll ask for the 3490 for Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006 07:24:51 AM »

I don't know if you've already got your scanner, but if you don't, I'd check out the HP Photosmart line.  I actually got mine off e-bay for around 60 bucks, and I love it.  The quality is great, and the scanner/program it comes with is really user-friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
tofuttibreak
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006 12:07:17 PM »

I meant to update: I got an epson for christmas, but I haven't been able to try it. Our house is a mess. I'll let everyone know how well it works. Thanks for all of the help everyone!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...