A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,783
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Completed "Hipster" from the new Knitty - ***Now with Koi Chart!  (Read 5620 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2005 12:17:06 AM »

My school's festival is coming up, and everyone, even the teachers, are supposed to contribute something to the big group exhibit. Since I wanted to make a Hipster (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATThipster.html) anyway, I thought it would be the perfect quick-to-whip-up project. This was my first felting project, and it was so much fun! I'm ashamed to say that this is actually the second attempt, because the first time around I used a yarn that I had forgotten was a machine washable wool (and hence, did not felt at all). The felted pocket on the front is from that first attempt, which had a fair isle koi on the flap. It's all good though, and I'm happy with how it turned out. Is anyone else making this?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2005 04:47:36 AM by DeadDisco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 02:25:56 AM »

That's really excellent! Smiley

The patterns on knitty are so cool, I just need to find a good one to attempt for a beginner.  I'm sure they're expecting a bit too much of beginners with their "mellow" patterns..!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gracella

I hope life isn't one big joke cuz I don't get it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005 08:41:50 AM »

you know, looking at that, it could also be a normal handbag to put over your sholder. i love your colors. awsome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisonegoesupto11
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005 12:17:34 PM »

gasp!  i love it!  great colors, and i love the design on the front!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel7383
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005 01:24:10 PM »

That's really cute, but very professional looking. Smiley Where did you get the koi pattern, or if you made it will you share it? And does it stay in place very well when you wear it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mickey McMickerson

ladies is pimps too

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005 02:35:58 PM »

Great job! I love the koi design! Have you worn it out yet, or do you have to donate it to the fair right away?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some of these mornings and it won't be long
You're gonna wake up calling me and I'll be gone
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005 11:39:47 PM »

Thanks everyone Grin ! This was a total stash-buster, I finished off all that extra Patons I had lying around, which is kind of sad, really. The Patons felted REALLY well, though the Lopi (the dark green yarn) didn't do so well. I thought it would have been the other way around. The bag does seem to stay in place pretty well, though I haven't worn it out and about. I'm hoping I'll get it back after the festival Undecided I did make the koi chart myself, based on an image I grabbed off of google. Here's that chart, for those who are interested:

A fun Japanese trivia tidbit: Koi are a popular motif in yakuza (gangster) tattoos. Ja ne!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zknits
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005 08:06:38 AM »

that's a hip fanny pack!  mighty tempting to wear one of those...not touristy or grannyesque at all!  haha
the koi is a great touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
jezebel7383
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005 08:46:57 AM »

Thank you for sharing the pattern! I'm not creative enough to make my own. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apixiegrl
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005 09:05:50 AM »

I luv it!!!.. great design. Do u think a guy would wear one? I'm out of ideas for guy stuff besides sweaters and gloves...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...