A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
256 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern drafting  (Read 20442 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2006 09:49:02 AM »

lol-lol : The best way to do this, I would have thought, would be to get a oneshouldered pattern if you can spare the expense, as the shape needs to fit well so it does not slip. Alternatively, you could use a clear strap to make sure it stays up properly and draft the top itself.

To compensate for the pleats you could either
a) turn the skirt the other way so the higher bit attaches to where the pleats are or
b) cut a slit near the bottom of the top pattern and stick a large triangle in which you will make the pleats with (extra material)

Make sure you allow plenty of material and make the dress wide enough. Perhaps compare with a well fitting tee and remember to add seam allowances.
I'm not sure what else to suggest. Hope this sort of makes sense. Good Luck

Randommarble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
lol-lol
www.osier.com.au

i love my rabbit, sam. and he loves me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2006 12:42:17 AM »

thankyou  very muchly randommarble, hopefully, i can pull everyones great advice together to make this thing perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps :: www.osier.com.au
sn0wgurl
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2006 01:05:18 PM »

Wow that's so generous.... 

I fell in love with this fitted blazer. 

I want to make this!  Smiley

More views can be seen here...http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?iProductID=11097&iMainCat=26&iSubCat=339&itemType=PRODUCT&ANSA=0&ATBOCO=0&ATBCCO=0&add=yes&rfx_catalog_name=&rfx_firstpage=&src=&addToWishList=false&options0=5385&options0=4762&qty0=1&productid0=11097&contactid0=0&pName0=Item+%23+11603313%2C+diesel+fitted+cotton+blazer&Counter=1&Add+to+Basket.x=27&Add+to+Basket.y=10
I was thinking I could alter a blazer pattern with a peplum waist and adjust the lapels but not sure the best way to go about this.  Ideas? 

Thanks for your help guys! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2006 12:39:14 AM »

Sorry I do not know what a peplum waist is. If you want it to be just like the original you need to take notice of the darts on the back and the slits in the sleeves. I would have thought that it wouldn't be too hard to adjust a pattern. Was there a particular pattern you were thinking of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
sn0wgurl
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2006 03:38:43 AM »

Randommarble, thanks for replying... Smiley  Honestly I didn't know what a peplum waist was either till I saw that jacket and read the descrip.  It said that's what it was.  I didn't have a pattern in mind to start with...  I was thinking of altering a jacket I already have possibly or maybe a man's suit because there would be more material to work with for darts and such.  Maybe I'd have more luck just playing with some crap fabric till I got the general idea.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2006 04:08:11 AM »

A pepulum waist is fitted then flared from the waist down. I've gone thru all the posts here and find the books (wow, expensive) interesting. I'll look for those at the library this weekend. One thing I have been doing is tracing some of my favorite a-line skirts. I add a little extra for seam allowance and figure in darts for my butt. It's a front and back and two waist pieces all sewn with a sipper and takes no time. Someone wanted lounge pants. Me too. And I have a fave pair I want to copy. If I do it I'll post it. Anyway, thanks to those here with all the great suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
daisyfresh
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2006 08:20:11 PM »

Pretty, pretty puh-leeze.... Kiss
Just found this post about Kara's dress on Project Runway and thought of you immediately coz you have drafted some amazing stuff. Could you do this one?
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=80361.0
http://projectrunway.shopthescene.com/detail.php?p=7450

waiting in mouth watering anticipation......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2006 07:30:10 AM »

Pretty, pretty puh-leeze.... Kiss
Just found this post about Kara's dress on Project Runway and thought of you immediately coz you have drafted some amazing stuff. Could you do this one?
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=80361.0
http://projectrunway.shopthescene.com/detail.php?p=7450

waiting in mouth watering anticipation......

Me too! I have been working on drafting a pattern and have been fiddling with the fabric I bought to do it, but I have not made any cuts out of sheer fear!
I really wish there were a picture of the Kara dress opened up - that would help alot. It does not look like a typical "wrap" dress - because it looks like it falls a little better than that. More of a V than a criss cross - that's why I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Has anyone seen one of these babies up close? There are tons of places that have them for sale on the internet - all in the $200 range - so I won't be meeting anyone who has one anytime soon. : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2006 01:02:46 PM »

It's a very simple dress. Look for a kimono wrap-style dress or shirt pattern. I've seen them at Joann's before.

It's made from jersey cotton [t-shirt fabric] and that's it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
wisegirl
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2007 06:43:44 PM »

I'm new to this website but I stumbled onto your posting and I am interested in getting a pattern for a shirt I found on this website:

http://www.tamaraus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=38

I know it should be really easy, so easy I feel stupid asking someone for help with this.  I just can't figure out in my head what it should look like when it is laid out flat. Let me know what you think..thanks. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just listen to the wind, mother nature's violin."  Chris LeDoux

check out my etsy shop; www.prairiemother.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian
@Home This Weekend: For The Birds
November 6, 2019 Featured Projects

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...