A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
330 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern drafting  (Read 20450 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2005 09:12:08 AM »

all right y'all, ok, so i'm not shade_n_shadow, but this is something i can help you with!

Ok I'm a plus size female, so how would I go about making a pattern for a size 20 to a size 24? Is the pattern even useful to me if it's not my size? not exactley what the post is about sorry.

Jailin ,
measure yourself (check out: http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/fittips/bestguidefit.htm and http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/fittips/fitbrochure/reallyknow.htm )

and yes, patterns can be useful to you, even if they aren't your size. i'm a "plus size"  Roll Eyes junior, and i have patterns that i've adapted from the collection i had when i was a kid. iall you have to know is where and how to fix what does fit. there is several excellent books on the subject, which i've see nat my public library (but i also own them) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0848714377/103-2092218-8369400

hope that helps!

I'm wondering about making a Fred anda Wilma (from The Flintstones) for my boyfriend and I. I dont want it to be too frumpy looking. If you could help that would be great. (I have 3 yards of white material and 3 yards of orange so far

jm2luver21,
the fred's outfit is mainly a rectangle, with a whole cut out of the top for the head, and triangles cut from the bottom hemline. rounded off triangles are sewed/glues/attacthed in random places, and then he has a bright turquoise tie. grab a tie, and draw around it for the pattern. basically, find a picture to go by, and measure how long you want it to be.

for wilma's dress, it's also a rectangle, but with a diagonal line across the shoulders. i thin kthere is a tutorial somewhere under "reconstructed" clothing for a "one shoulder" shirt. there's also elastic at the waist, and the same triangles cut form the hemline.

ii don't know if it's possible not to make it "frumpy", seeing as how anything with little shaping has a tendency to look "frumpy"

hope that helps!

Are you near completing the rag skirt pattern? Don't mean to sound rude but would love to know how to make it and some of the links didn't work. If you have any spare time would also love to know how to make a skirt like the bottom of half (don't mind how top of skirt done) this:

Grin
Randommarble,

the dress/skirt appears to be fitted from the waist, through the hips. i think it's cut on the bias, based upon the way it drapes so nice, but the drape is also based upon the fabric. the funky hemline looks to be what they call "the hankercheif" (hem) but i'm not certain; it's made at different lengths to achive the effect.

on second glance it could possibly be two layers.

well, i don't know how much more kind of detail you want, but i hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
missgurle17
Miss Dana Rae

XoXo, Dana

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005 11:12:53 AM »

I've taken a fashion design class at my local community college.  Before I took the class, I had my mom get me this book as a Christmas gift.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321034236/qid=1095789813/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-3687673-5985552  It's pricey, but it IS a textbook and it happened to be the exact book we used for the class.  You could use the book without the class because the class just basically went through the book and had us following that to make our own slopers.  Once you have a well fitting sloper, you can make anything you want.   

I'm so jealous, my community college only offers, beginner, intermediate, and advance sewing classes (those are actually free community class - which means no credit! blah). And we have a theatre costume class, which doesn't interest me all that much.

shade_n_shadow--you give me hope telling us that you learned on your own! Which books would you suggest? I saw the one you posted before, but any others? Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Dana Rae

I have 50 gmail invitations, this is a great invite only email service. Email me if you are interested.
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005 11:23:13 AM »

Thanks unlikely redhead, I may give it a go after I've finished my major project (Simplicity 5724)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
irishprincessbk
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2005 12:07:02 PM »

So how would i make a dress like this....

Or have you ever seen a pattern out there for it???  I saw this and just have to make it....but how??!!!!   Huh

i woudl also love how to learn to make that. kinda reminds me of a dress someone in a dinner might wear
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"THE CALM THAT KILLED THE STORM"--------06/16/05
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2005 12:10:29 PM »

There's a quasi-similar pattern here:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2784=x&TI='2784'&page=1

I'll be making it soon, and changing the skirt to a regular circle skirt. I may have some ideas after I do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
irishprincessbk
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2005 01:03:56 PM »

hey i was wondering if anyone by chance would be able to help me figure out the pattern fro this dress, it might be hard to figure out becuase of the fake hair that is coving part of the top up, but i tryed to get as many differnt angel shots i could so it woudl be easy

sorry if its too big,

if you coudl help me out, i have a show soon and i need to get as much done as possiable
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2005 09:41:25 PM »

from what i can tell, (which isn't much) it's a tank top which is long(er) witha  zipper running down the front. it also appears to have a collar (maybe?) and it appears to eb made out of some sort of vinyl-type fabric. basically, grab a tank top that fits you the way you like, and trace around it. then, add a few inches, until it's desire length. add an aditional inch approx, for the zipper to the front piece only. trace around a collar of a button-down shirt, and attach it.

although, on closer inspection, i could be wrong about it all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
irishprincessbk
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2005 10:22:03 PM »

thats dose sound like it will work, and it dose have a collar on it, i know the pictures arnt that great.

thanks for the help.

so tank top with a dress shirt collar on it, basically then i need a few adjustments

awsome thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irishprincessbk
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2005 07:56:47 PM »

hey would anyone know were i could get that fabirc by chance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wdng_gal
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2005 07:25:30 PM »

can you help me track down a pattern to work from for this party dress? i'd like to get as close to this as possible, including the bead work. thanks!!

http://www.rampage.com/items.asp?deptid=24&itemid=7712
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...