A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Cleaves (w/pics)  (Read 4634 times)
Tags for this thread: cleaves  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Kimbabwe
« on: September 18, 2005 10:11:09 AM »

I posted this in the knit-along section as a number of people have been knitting these babies up, but I thought I'd post here too, just in case anyone was curious to see how this thing comes out.

This is from the Spring 2005 issue of Knitty -- the cover item. I thought it a little strange at first (especially where the Knitty model is wearing nothing underneath!l), but then my sister-in-law mentioned that she loved it and wanted one. So she's getting it for Christmas!

It's a little bit awkward to wear, but all in all a pretty cool project and very unique. I may have to make one for myself! (or just keep this one and make a 2nd one for my SIL)!

I used Lamb's Pride bulky (as called for in the pattern) in the color of wild oak, and the one modification I made was to do only the first set of increases on the sleeves after the ribbed cuff so that the sleeves are less puffy.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010 02:46:44 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005 10:17:46 AM »

that is so sweet.!
i love it.
i'm maybe going to make it... i don't like purling and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005 12:02:00 PM »

It looks like it would limit mobility in the arms when it's worn properly. Like having a choice btween having it slip around and keeping freedom of movement, or keeping your arms within a certain place and having it be worn properly.

Of course, having never worn one, I'm just speculating. Still, it looks like it's be nice and cozy when your arms need that extra little bit of warmth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
subloke
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005 12:49:01 PM »

It looks really cute!  I wasn't very interested in that pattern because I was thinking "When am i EVER going to need sleeves if I'm not wearing a top at all?" but I really like how it looks with clothing on! 

If you are wearing it do you get used to it, or is it the kind of thing that you have to fuss with a lot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Scarlett
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005 01:47:09 PM »

I like yours much better than the original one from Knitty -- I think the de-puffed sleeves make a big difference.

Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faerietail
Wing-Maker Extraordinaire

When force is gone, there's always Mom. Hi Mom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005 12:17:03 AM »

I loved this pattern the moment I saw it on Knitty, and I love your version! I actually am a fan of the puffy sleeves (yeah, I'm stuck in the 80s), but your mods are also lovely. Maybe if you made the body of it (ie the bit that goes over/above your boobs) a bit longer, that would make it slightly less awkward? This is suggested in complete ignornace, though, because I haven't really studied how it's constructed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buy some fairy wings! - www.faerietail.com
Buy hand spun yarn - fey.etsy.com
annarella
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005 01:16:15 AM »

I've always loved this pattern but somehow resisted the urge to make it as it doesn't look particularly practical (try saying this three times in a row), but yours looks great on you! I like it with the de-puffed sleeves, you may even fit it under a coat. Very nice! xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annarella
http://www.annarella.co.uk
buy my hand made stitch markers: http://annarella.etsy.com
ohmystars
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005 05:17:17 AM »

i like yours a lot better than the one pictured on the pattern! it almost looks wearable..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassyminx
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005 04:27:07 PM »

Fantastic job! it is beautiful..
I made a pair a while ago, but it was just a tad too small  Cry . It fit my sister though !!
I'll be making myself a pair again soon, but this time I will make the chest ribbing a few sizes bigger so that it falls lower down!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005 09:16:33 AM »

i've been looking for a shrug pattern to use with this new yarn i got... it's chunky and it says it works best with #11's. i'm so excited to see your modification / version of the sweater because i like the ribbing at the cuffs and the stockinette on the sleeves. i think i'm going to work off the cleaves pattern now and use it as my guide! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...