A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,621
Currently Running With Scissors:
195 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: homeade window cling help?  (Read 1609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bigeyes
« on: September 17, 2005 05:51:41 PM »

Guys, I bought my kids these window cling kits and of course they have paint-by-number art with colors that didn't come in the kit!!  The original paints smell like elmer's glue, and I have read (I think) that you can use that 'slick paint' that comes in the 99cent tubes as a substitute. However, it is kinda opaque... So...I was thinking of trying to thin the paint with some elmer's glue.....

anyone done this, or got any pointers?  I have done countless internet searches and I cannot find the original paint in the colors we need. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
purplepooh

Ha cha cha cha chaaaaa! Delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005 06:55:04 PM »

Plaid brand makes some paint called Gallery Glass, it's used to make those suncatchers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005 10:01:25 PM »

thanks.  I live in a crafter's wasteland and was hoping to find a way to make the stuff myself.  I can find fabric paints at walmart on a good day, but usually can't find the window cling paint.

did you use the kind for 'stained glass' style?  Cuz I don't want a frame, I just want to draw my design and peel it up.  I think I'm gonna experiment with the fabric paint mixed with glue since that's what my window cling paint smelled like.

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

x_no_one_x
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005 02:50:35 AM »

I did this  stuff obsessivly for a while.. its just colored glue, so you could probably mix any kind of paint, or even food coloring...

i used glitter glue (the tube kind a lot)..

Im not sure how well fabric paint mixes with glue, but if you can mix em itd work..

I know i used to use ijust fabric paint, and it turned out good but opaque..

also, if your kids have lockers, you caould give em opaqueness, and say its a locker sticker...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005 10:34:02 PM »

cool beans!  thanks! I will try all of those and see what happens.  The reason I wanted to dilute it was exactly that opaqueness thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005 01:17:01 PM »

I read somewhere that you can mix 1 part tempera paint and 1 part plain white glue and it will be the same as the window cling paint.  I have yet to try it, but I plan to do it in the near future.  Also, you can buy little squeezey plastic bottles with narrow tips from Dick Blick for like $7 for 6 of them, so you can fill them up with your own homemade window cling paint!  Please be sure to post if you try any of the suggestions - I'm really interested to see how it works!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...