A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
149 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: new scrabooker question(s)  (Read 3222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
creative muffin
« on: September 14, 2005 10:16:21 PM »

we are starting off slow here, we have picked up pages and a few blank books and rather then kill ourselves going back, we are going to do a few 4th of july shots and then go on to a vaction and then when halloween gets here (this way we start off slow and move forward rather then go nuts trying to go back and make books just as we are starting....and to see if we really like it to invest a lot of time into it)

my question is we purchased a bunch of easy glue in stuff and stickers for our first few attempts.  All are scrapbook healthy stuff!
What kind of glues should we use for putting the pics in (or should we buy those corner holders and if so what glue do we use on those) and what kinds of glue can we use to add in heavier stuff (like a few of the 4th of july stuff is little fireworks tube thingys and a wood use sign)?

And what do I do to prevent these from falling off?  do I put them into the plastic protective sheets?  or do I just put them between the pages or not at all?

Thanks so much for any answers you give me!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muffin

www.creativemuffin.com

www.creativemuffin.etsy.com

fiber, yarn, knitting, and spinning addict...more crafty things, Mwahahahaha
snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005 11:26:07 PM »

Ok, I have made several scrapbooks and I will just tell you how I've made them.

First of all...you never want to use glue on your pictures. I learned that the hard way years ago. I like to use the photo corners. They have adhesive on the back of them and stick just fine to paper. I have also used two sided photo tape. These work out really well for me. Usually I mount my pics on colored paper anyways and then stick that to the actual scrapbook page.

As far as gluing the other stuff you can use regular good old Elmer's glue. I like to use protective sheets on all of my pages in any scrapbook I have made. Just because I would worry about a picture getting an edge folded over or something like that. So get some pages to protect all that hard work you've done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafty kid. I just can't help myself.
funkyskull77
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005 01:25:30 PM »

Goes to show that everyone is different!  I prefere to use glue stick. I glue stick everythig.  I did use photo corners for one challenging project, which was 2 books for a 70-year-old's surprise birthday party.  Since it was a surprise, we wanted her to be able to take the pics out if she wanted, especially since some of them were as old as she is!

I also really like Making Memories metal glue for metal or heavy embellishments.  It might just be regular glue for all I know, but in my short experience, I have had great success with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brownsugar13
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005 07:32:14 PM »

it's great that you're starting to scrapbook!  okay....well, this hobby doesn't HAVE to be expensive.  look around your house and find things that you could put into your scrapbook...if you mount your photos, you could use wrapping paper and then the picture........someone gave me this really creative idea of using part of a pillowcase, pretty fancy, huh?? lol.........and also, you don't need a $3 sticker to make a page look great....i hope that i've helped! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005 10:30:02 PM »

Goes to show that everyone is different!  I prefere to use glue stick. I glue stick everythig.  I did use photo corners for one challenging project, which was 2 books for a 70-year-old's surprise birthday party.  Since it was a surprise, we wanted her to be able to take the pics out if she wanted, especially since some of them were as old as she is!

I also really like Making Memories metal glue for metal or heavy embellishments.  It might just be regular glue for all I know, but in my short experience, I have had great success with that.

I've never heard of Making Memories metal glue....I will have to look into that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005 12:18:16 PM »

i always use black or clear photo corners. i figure then you can always take the pics out to copy them or whatever if all else is lost. otherwise you have to rip it out or forget it. i also think it lends a "classy/timeless" look, but i'm doing a wedding album.....the photo mats and other stuff i use double-sided tape, glue sticks and those sticky dot things that are really strong. but yeah there's tons of stuff out there you can use...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005 09:23:46 PM »

Well, to glue photos and other paper stuff, I use an adhesive runner: I use E-Z Runner's Scrapbook Adhesives runner.  I have one for vellum (a purple container) and one for paper (a red container).  You can buy these in many brands, these are just the brands I have found to work the best.  This link shows the permanent paper adhesive runner: http://store.scrapbook.com/jv-1645.html
I used to use glue sticks which were messy and so I tended to leave fingerprints on photos.  I've also tried the photo corner thing, but that didn't really work...the photos slipped out of the corners.
As long as the adhesive you use is acid free, you can use it on your photos.
For heavier stuff, I use glue dots.  You just place whatever you are gluing on the glue dot (while the dot is still on the glossy paper it comes on) then lift the item off.  The glue dot will attach to your item and pull off the glossy paper.  Then just stick the item to the page.  Here's a link to show you the Glue Dots: http://store.scrapbook.com/gluedots.html You can buy these in other brands as well and other styles like pop up dots.
Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
beadgirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ndnchick

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005 08:52:38 PM »

I have used the EZ runner, glue stick, and double sided tape.  I haven't had any luck with the corners.  They keep falling off.   Undecided

Personally I prefer the double sided tape.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005 08:01:50 PM »

When I use the photo corners I usually mount my photos on decorative paper for a sort of background and then glue it down to the scrapbook page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alesha
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005 10:42:15 PM »

I'm a scrapbooking demonstrator and I always use scrapbook/photo friendly doublesided tape.  It is easiest.  I find the glue too messy, and just sometimes dont' like working with the photo corners. 

For the heavier stuff, I typically will use crystal effects ( the Stampin' Up version of the Creative Memories stuff) and it works like a charm.  A dab will hold it for years.  I've had a bottle that I've used at demonstrations and for personal use for over a year and haven't even got 1/4 way down it yet.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005 10:44:16 PM by Alesha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alesha

Scrappin' and stampin' in London ON
http://alesha.stampinup.net
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...