A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you do when you're knitting?  (Read 3707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2005 06:39:59 AM »

Do you watch TV? Listen to music? Attempt to play board games? Or do you just sit in silence and knit?

Just curious. I sit with the TV on for background noise. Exteral stimulation is a good thing, and makes the time pass by quicker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005 06:49:03 AM »

Usually I have the TV on, but it has to be something I've seen before so I don't care if I miss most of the action.  I can't knit without sight yet.  I've also been known to knit at work a few stitches here and where while waiting for faxes, etc., in the car on long or semi-long car rides (I've often wondered what the airbag would do to me, and whether I shouldn't consider sitting in back with my daughter while I was knitting...).  Oh, and other things I do while I knit include trying to keep the puppy from biting the ends of my needles, asking my daughter to bring the yarn back, telling her not to give the yarn to the puppy, putting the needles down frantically and attempting to retrieve the yarn from the puppy, cleaning the wounds, returning to my knitting and demanding that Kit put the needles down, then picking up the stitches that she pulled out when she "complied".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
LRS
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005 07:03:31 AM »

Sometimes I talk on the phone while I work.  There are a few people with whom I have long phone conversations.  When they call, I put them on hold for a minute, get the phone headset on, then work while I chat.  It's usually hand-sewing or crocheting.  But I'm starting to learn to knit too.

I work slowly while I'm riding in a car.  (I make my husband very nervous by telling him that I've mastered driving while crocheting.  But I really do bring a project along if I think I'll be waiting in the car for someone.) 

I crochet while talking to my immediate family and one or two friends who also do crafts.  But in general I think it's kind of rude.

On vacation I crocheted on the beach.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
EmilyFlew

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005 07:06:23 AM »

I love knitting while watching TV and movies, especially when it's mindless knitting (which I can do without looking). At this point, I find it really hard to watch a movie *without* knitting--my hands feel so bored.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005 07:09:45 AM »

I crochet while talking to my immediate family and one or two friends who also do crafts.  But in general I think it's kind of rude.

I thinki it's great that my roommate and I both craft. At bnight, we'll go downstairs and turn the TV on, and I knit while she does cross-stitch. We don't have to say a word to each other, just enjoy the company of fellow crafty-folks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005 07:18:52 AM »

I usually watch tv or listen to audio books.  Knitting makes the boy's fascination with sports much easier to bear Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005 07:23:39 AM »

I usually watch TV, if I'm in front the TV I have to have something to keep my hands busy or I just feel useless.  I sometimes listen to music but it's usually TV. 
Also I haven't been able to knit while riding in a car, I was afraid it would have the same effect on me that reading while riding in a car did. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005 08:04:49 AM »

I knit while watching TV,  since I usually have a bunch of projects going at once, I can pick the one that will allow me to see as much of the show as I want to see.  For a close football game or when "my" team is playing, I will knit something plain stocking stitch or something with regular ribbing, for something I've seen before or with lots of commercials I'll work on something more interesting. 

I rigged up a bookstand for myself so that I can read without hands and knit.  I generally do this if I'm reading in bed.  I like to work on something small while I'm doing this so it doesn't get into my way, so I have a sock by the bed and I work on that while I'm reading (on my 12" circs, not on dpns...  that could be dangerous!)

I take this sock to work also, so that I have something in case traffic comes to a halt, or if I get to work and there isn't anyone to let me in.  I usually have a couple of things to knit if I'm taking lunches (sometimes I don't) so that I have something to work on after I'm done eating.

I also blog-read while knitting.  My computer makes a mockery of the "high speed" of my dsl connection (i.e. my computer is aged and not so fast) so it sometimes takes a while for the pages to load.  So, I will get my sock from my bed/work bag; or I'll pick up something that is not too bulky and work on that while I'm on the internet.

If I'm working on something really complex, I turn off the tv and put away the book and put on music that I know well (if it's new to me I'm paying too much attention to it) and knit away. 

I guess I knit a lot.  Smiley

**Lothruin:  I was drinking coffee when I read your post.  Now I need to clean up a bit.  very funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
grusinskaya
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005 08:47:25 AM »

In addition to my addiction to the fiber arts, I am also hopelessly obsessed with movies. So I set aside a couple of hours every week to watch a movie & knit, and so far, it's a good system. Although if I'm knitting something a little more complicated (like this lace scarf that I'm working on right now), I just listen to instrumental music.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apixiegrl
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005 09:02:35 AM »

I usually watch movies when i knit. Some days i listen to music, most days i play world of warcraft or ffxi and knit while waiting for parties or while I'm medding after a good fight.  Grin... I bring knitting with me everywhere, if i have to wait online at the bank of while waiting for food in a restaurant... I have socks i call my restaurant socks.. knit while waiting for food. Grin I haven't tried reading while knitting yet... I think I'm going to have to try that one next...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...