A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
239 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade Christmas.  (Read 28806 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_card  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2005 07:30:55 PM »

Or Yule, or Kwanza, or whatever your preference is.

In short, this year, I vow to have all the gifts I give be made by my own hands. Whether I know something, or sew something, or whatever, all of my gifts will be handmade.

Is anyone else doing this too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005 07:54:53 PM »

hey that was my resolve this your too! Actually I did it a couple of years ago too and didn't have the time to do it last year but man this year I'm starting now! Want to spur each other on? You know when you have someone to answer to you actually do get things done.
How about it anyone one else up for the challenge? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparroWinter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005 03:43:11 AM »

I'm up for a spur-on! What stuff are you making? On my plate, I've got:

~ a handbound journal, complete with embroidered cloth cover
~ wool socks
~ a clay figurine in traditional Japanese costume
~ a kitchen-themed cross-stitch project
~ a plushie made from old clothing
~ a knitted nose-warmer (damned if I know how I'm going to make this, but it's been requested, so I'm gonna do it!)

I know so very few people, but I'm sure that'll keep me busy from now until the day. I'll probably end up making scarves for everyone I know, too. Two of the scarves are already complete, so that's two down, and *counts* 5 to go.

Not bad, really!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Falliage scarf
Emmetropia
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005 12:06:06 PM »

I'm going to make all my presents this year, along with a load of cards both for me and for my Ma.  She needs about 50 cards, I need about 15 (different designs for each of us) and will be making presents for family members and friends.

The plans so far are:

Jewellry for Ma and sister (I'm starting a jewellery-making class next week - very excited!);
Inket transfer t-shirts for my uncle and 1 year-old god-daughter;
Frosted glassware for my aunt and my best friends (my goddaughter's parents);
A drawing of my sister and I as kids for my grandparents;
Various little bits and bobs, as yet unplanned, for other friends.

I fancy making some cinnamon ornament thingies if I can get hold of the monster portions of cinnamon required.  It's only sold in 40g jars around here!

I'm doing my thinking and planning now and will be getting started next month.  I saw in a shop window this afternoon that there are 15 weeks until christmas!  Better get going soon if I'm going to get it all done in time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daydreamer13579
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005 12:35:37 PM »

I am planning on a very hand-made Crafster Christmas this year also.

For the guys (8 sets) fleece hats and scarves and some homemade chocolate goodies
for the women (7) handbags the "Jordy" way or beaded jewelry
for my nieces (2) purses from little boys overalls https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46673.0
for my nephews (6) floormats with scenes painted on them to play with their toy cars
Everyone is also getting some bookmarks or book thongs and handmade cards.

I also plan to have on hand some candle lanterns and ornaments, some baked goodies and some extra beaded jewelry for little extra kind of things.

I just looked at this list and I am so glad I have a good start on everything but the hats and scarves. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jacktastic
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005 12:38:29 PM »

There is a pattern for a "Nose-Warmer" in the archives on knitty.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cowgrrl
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005 12:48:50 PM »

Everything isn't handmade but hopefully everyone will be getting at least 1 homemade gift from me.  Here's a few things I'm making:

-book thongs (for teachers, friends,)
-Polar Fleece purses
-Fleece throws (the ones made from panels)
-fleece scarves (need to start hitting the remnants bins for pieces)
-fleece slippers for the DS
-fluffy scarf made from fancy yarn for the DD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SparroWinter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005 12:58:38 PM »

There is a pattern for a "Nose-Warmer" in the archives on knitty.com

That's almost how I pictured it, except that I was hoping to go for a more rounded look than a pointy one. Possibly it'll look more how I imagined if I just leave off the tassel.

Stilll, thanks for the head-up! This'll make things much easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Falliage scarf
vampirebee
Bee

Love me, love my angst.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005 01:02:30 PM »

No more winter presents from me, crafted or store-bought! After struggling to decide what to get the in-laws last year, we ended up giving them a gift card and they gave us one: in the same amount, to the same store.  It would be funny if it weren't so sad. 

From here on out, I'm taking the money I would have spent on presents (and shipping!) and giving it to charity.  I'm making small "commemorative" ornaments and sending them out with a note about how lucky we are that, without exception, our friends and families have everything they need and can buy themselves almost everything they want.  I'm currently considering two charities: 1) Guide Dogs for the Blind and 2) one that sponsors an anti-malaria mosquito net campaign.  Either could yield cute ornament ideas and both are non-political, non-controversial straight-up GOOD CAUSES.  Friends who don't celebrate the season with a tree can hang up the ornament in their cubicle at work or something.  I may even do a magnet... everyone has a refrigerator, right? 

I intend to do this every year for the rest of my life -- a different charity every year!  I'm sure I'll also send some folks small individual gifts when I come across an idea or an item that just SCREAMS that person's name, but I really intend to make the season more meaningful from here on out.  My husband expresses a little uncertainty at this step; he thinks it's "hippie" and we are Manhattanites -- he's a "New York lawyer" -- and he's afraid people will be offended.  I tell him -- you know what's offensive?  That we couldn't come up with a better gift idea for his parents than store credit at Best Buy.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Winter is nature's way of saying, "Up yours."
~Robert Byrne
scissorchic
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005 01:06:55 PM »

I did last year.  I made cigar box purses for all the ladys I work with.  In total 9 women!!!  I bought all the boxes from a cigar outlet for $1 a piece but I ended up spending soooooo much money on all the other stuff.  They loved them!! They expect me to do it again this year.  I dunno.......   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...