A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,446
Currently Running With Scissors:
236 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blender Fishbowl!  (Read 28909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

momwith3kids
HOMESChOOL

Hey y'all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2005 02:55:22 PM »

we have lots of fish in our house.  they are definitely not for decorative purposes.  I have many fish who will eat out of my hand.  one comes over to my hand and rubs against it when I have to rearrange her rocks, she picks them all up and moves them to one side of the tank.  cute.   most small fish that come in here are only for their food and don't last a day.    every betta we have had disappears overnight, so we call them all betty.

love the blender idea,  i will have to buy a new container, wouldn't you know that was the part i lost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine is like my left hand.... I can't write with it, but I NEED it none the less.

see ya'll on the flip side

My Etsy Shop
http://momwith3kids.etsy.com

My Homeschool Blog
http://homeschoolblogger.com/momwith3kids
sugarloves
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2005 12:26:27 PM »

I .  I had a huge hexagonal fish bowl, (inherited it from a previous tenant of one of my apts.) probably in the 50gal range.  It never seemed nearly as useful as a good, normal-shaped 10gal. 
\

Thats because it has less surface area than a regular 10 gallon.  Therefore, it cant hold as many fish.  hex tanks are rather useless, they are only fitted for something like an angel fish which needs lots of vertical space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2005 09:13:33 PM »

I am also vegetarian, and don't want any animal to be killed for me, but I don't believe that was the point of this particular piece of art, though it's an interesting point - why not this fish any more than a tuna in the great blue? I just liked the idea of the plugged in blender challenging people's conscience and impulse. It brought to mind the fear of throwing one's self off the edge of a building when standing too near the edge. Or perhaps it's just me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
CrazyFool
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2005 11:52:08 AM »

Beta Fish natuarally live in small bodies of water. They live in puddles in the rice patties (paddies?) Which are not the nicest envoronment, Its all algea-y and smelly. They like living in the small bowls becuase its more like their natural habitats. So dont think that its Fishy-abuse to keep a beta fish in a coffee pot. They like it. I keep mine in a vase and hes been happy and healthy for a long time now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well...Damn The Man!!!
kindasleepy
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2005 12:09:53 PM »

Bettas are fine is small containers, I wouldn't try any other fish though.  Tetras, danios, guppies, mollies, and other similar fish need to be in large schools and like tropical tanks with lots of water movement.  Goldfish are entirely too large and need lots of filtration.  The aquababies thing is a little misleading, those fish they have in there can not possibly be very healthy (with the possible exception of the betta)

They used to actually transport bettas rolled up in wet newspaper.  now they are in individual (albeit tiny) bags.  I wasn't a livestock manager at my store at that time but apparently the newspaper thing wasn't all that long ago. 

the air line through the bottom is a very good idea, make sure there isn't too much power behind it and make sure your pump is set higher than your blender.  If the power goes out water will seep through the line, if your pump is too low it will short out your motor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaiter_girl

Hullo, My name is Bear. Grrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2005 12:16:05 PM »

I have many fish who will eat out of my hand.  one comes over to my hand and rubs against it when I have to rearrange her rocks, she picks them all up and moves them to one side of the tank.  cute.   

What?!?  That is soo cool!  What kind of fish do you have?

Oh and my favourite three words are now "WHOA BAM DIGGITY"  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My my...aren't we a knotty little girl?
dialectic material
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2005 12:28:53 PM »

short story:  i once had a betta named tom, who was given to me as a gift when i started at a new college (which i am now thankfully done with).  we loved each other very much.  upon moving into my parents house over summer break, i decided tom needed a new habitat.  so we moved him into a blender, with blades removed and no caulk so as not to harm his fishness.  it wasn't too long after this move (maybe 2 weeks?) that i started to notice tom was getting sick.  i think i tried everything, from fishy medicine, to moving him back into his regular tank, to getting him what seemed to me the aquatic version of prozac (i thought perhaps it was the move that stressed him out, not just the blender).  all this to no avail.  tom died july 4, 2002.  i'm still sad when i think about it.

the moral of this story: live fish are better than dead fish, no matter how clever their habitats are.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ain't no power like the power of the people cuz the power of the people don't stop
kindasleepy
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2005 04:23:55 PM »

did he get white spots? that might have been ich.  It's hard to treat and usually comes on after stress. (like moving)

i'm sorry about your fishie. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikkicola
Coley Moley

I'm creative... don't expect me to be tidy too!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2005 06:43:33 PM »

argh i would hate to have a blender fishbowl -- even if the cord was cut i would always feel dangerous near it.
not that i don't LOVE the idea!

*cole*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Lorraine, my density has popped me to you."
"Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?"
carlyleech
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2005 03:53:03 PM »

the moral of this story: live fish are better than dead fish, no matter how clever their habitats are.  

Unless it's a delicious grilled SALMON!    Roll Eyes   Yum!   Hahaha...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak."
                  -James Russell Lowell
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Spinach and Potato Baked Eggs
@Home This Weekend: Hamper Revamp
Tute Tuesday: Felt Owl Costume

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...