A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,809
Currently Running With Scissors:
286 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wrist popping?!  (Read 5281 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005 06:48:07 PM »

My wrists get all crackly and achey too. It scares the butter out of me. I'd hate to have to give up crocheting and can't afford surgery!
Does anyone remember on Kids in the Hall, the "I'm crushing your head" guy got beat up and had to go through hand rehab? How I loved that show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005 06:56:21 PM »

Hey, y'all--I saw this thread show up on the home page, and I feel compelled to respond....Doing exercises for your hands & wrists is a good thing--but PLEASE get it checked out by a doctor if you feel pain in your joints!  It's not something to ignore--especially if you plan to use them for many years to come.  I know going to the doctor for a "crochet injury" may sound silly, but imagine what could result if you don't.  Problems in the joints often don't just go away, and in fact can get much worse with time.  (Imagine toughing through it now, but then not being able to crochet at all later...AAAARGH!)

I'm particularly sesitive to this, since I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis (yep, the old lady kind) in my twenties.  It's in a very early stage, and it doesn't usually bother me--and I'd like to keep it that way.  PLEASE (I'm saying it again), PLEASE see a doctor to rule out potentially serious problems--it'll be good for your peace of mind AND for your future crochet projects!  Wink  And besides, your doctor may have simple solutions and/or adaptations that simply will make your hands & wrists feel better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005 09:18:04 AM »

i just thought it was me!  my wrist pops, too. somebody else mentioned this, but i'm going to second it - it helped me to try to keep my wrist still and move from the shoulder down instead of the wrist down. and also, i try to move the work around with my left hand (i'm right handed) instead of making my right hand with the hook do all the work. erm...hope that makes sense.
*snap* *crackle* *pop*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
lusterbunny
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005 09:37:42 AM »

In addition to exercising you should also get Glucosomine tablets at the drug store.  You don't need a perscription.  They help alot with joint pain and are really good for people with carpal, tendonitis and arthritis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my naughty tiles at www.lusterbunny.etsy.com
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005 09:50:49 AM »

I hate to be a downer, but some glucosamine tablets have a starch in them that, if you are allergic, will actually aggravate joint problems.  So try the tablets but if things start to get worse after two weeks stop taking them.

Found this out the hard way and now have shoulder trouble (nuisance type not can't function type) as well as the arthritis of the  knees, hips and feet.

according to the orthopedic doc it isn't common, but if you are one of the unlucky ones it's potentially very nasty.  It took them almost a year to figure out why the aches on me kept getting worse and spreading, and once they did the damage wasn't reversable even with major surgery. (I'm stuck at the use it or lose it movement stage, like the gods know how many millions of others, and will be unless they make major breakthroughs in the area.)

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
LilMissPink
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005 12:09:45 PM »

Hey... just to mention it, my arm was bothering me last night (suprisingly the one that does pretty close to nothing) so I slept with it on a pillow in the position that hurt the most (seems weird and was very uncomfortable, but in the morning, it felt a lot better- trust me).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
Elisabeth
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005 07:34:39 PM »

buy one of these:
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82327&PRODID=108601
helps a TON I was getting aweful carpal tunnel.  This really improved it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005 07:51:57 PM »

I started knitting while working at a video store. So, all day, I'm twisting safety locks off the video (sometimes they're a b!tch to get off too!) and then I'd come home and knit til I fell asleep. Now, it seems like my wrist has a habit of popping out of joint. If I don't fix it right away the pain spreads up my arm and is accentuated every time it makes a little pop. I get my husband to massage my wrist to loosen it up and then he twists and turns it pretty hard, almost feels like an idnian burn, until it pops back into joint. It's certainly a lot better since I stopped working at the video store but it still happens. Sucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs
Rainy Days

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...