A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 315,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
179 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Elephant Sock Monkey Tutorial  (Read 23776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

modpodge
« on: September 04, 2005 09:05:37 AM »

I personally have a hard time making even the normal sock monkeys...and I end up with a ripped up sock that looks NOTHING like a monkey! But if you are capable, here's a tute for an elephant, straight out of The Pack-O-Fun Scrap Craft Magazine, October 1957 issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
forthebirds
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005 04:19:50 PM »

that's a really cute idea.  i'd like to try it, but i can't really read the directions.  could you maybe post a bigger picture or (this is the painstaking way) type out the instructions? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
modpodge
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005 07:10:21 AM »

that's a really cute idea.  i'd like to try it, but i can't really read the directions.  could you maybe post a bigger picture or (this is the painstaking way) type out the instructions? 

Have you tried copying and pasting into word? If you do that and change the image to 7" high, it is totally readable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
forthebirds
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005 08:05:02 AM »

Have you tried copying and pasting into word? If you do that and change the image to 7" high, it is totally readable.
oh thanks, i didn't even think of that, i'll definitely try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alocaltale
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005 09:25:39 AM »

yay! i love elephants (: must definitely try this out someday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bbonnn
I'm holding in my hand a box of small chocolate bunnies.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006 02:50:20 PM »

Yay! I think I have a new obsession: sock animal craft. Oddly, this coincides with the cleaning of my sock drawer and discovery of about 20 socks that will never be reunited with their mates.

Apparently you can make 50 different kinds of toys from these socks. http://www.supersockmonkey.com/catalog/redheelsocks.html (scroll down to HOW TO MAKE THE ORIGINAL SOCK MONKEY CRAFT BOOK). 50 ideas? In 48 pages? I wonder how many of those are akin to "Fill a sock with beans. Now you have a bean bag! Fill a sock with stuffing. Now you have a soft neck pillow!" I'm tempted to see ...

Anyway, I type blindingly fast and had nothing to to this afternoon, so I typed up the directions here and excerpted pix. I'm going to print this and add it to my crafty notebook.

SOCK ELEPHANT DOLL
(COMPANION TO RED HEEL SOCK MONKEY)
Pack-O-Fun, October 1957

One of the cuddliest, most charming little toys is this colorful, soft as swans-down circus elephant. He is ideal for a teen-ager's bedroom, a precious baby's crib, or as a companion for children on a long trip. Bazaar planners should find this a welcome item since it is quick, easy and inexpensive to make, and, above all, NEW, different and eye-catching.

You are probably familiar with the Rockford Red Heel work socks manufactured by the Nelson Knitting Company of Rockford, Illinois. these socks, which are a brown tweed with white cuffs and toes and a distinguishing red heel, may be purchased through mail order houses or your local dry goods or variety stores. Cost is about 30 cents a pair and much less in larger lots. (Prices vary with locality.)

In addition to the Rockford socks, you will need old nylons, shredded rubber or other scraps for filling, bright felt or oilcloth for trim, buttons for eyes, and yarn for pom-poms. With these few odds and ends, you are ready to make a companion to the popular Red Heel Sock Monkey.

SOCK NO. 1

Turn inside out. Cut 1 1/2" off rib of sock. Starting 3" from heel, sew 1/8" seam on each side of center line and across end of ribbing. Cut sock between seams and about 1" farther to make opening for stuffing. Turn right side out.

To shape head, stuff foot of sock nice and plump, and tie off loosely at neck with ribbon. Insert ovals of cardboard in feet and stuff. Finish stuffing and sew up slit in crotch, making open seam on underside of body and the other up toward the tail.

SOCK NO. 2

LEGS - Cut as shown, about 5" long. Turn inside out, seam along one side and across foot. Insert pieces of cardboard in feet, stuff, and attach near front of body.

MOUTH _ Cut off complete heel from second sock. Stuff lightly and sew to head. Stitch across center to shape mouth.

TRUNK - Open flat strip of sock so that it is about 1" at one end and 6" at the other. Round the wide end. Fold in half lengthwise, inside out, and seam along one edge and around narrow end. turn right side out and stuff. Sew to head just above mouth with seam underneath. To bend and hold trunk in various positions, insert a piece of wire through length of trunk. Insert pipe cleaner tusks.

EARS - For each ear, cut two pieces in shape of ears. Seam and turn right side out. Sew on level with highest point of trunk.

EYES - Sew on round or oblong buttons set wide apart. For very small youngsters, embroider eyes.

TAIL - Make small short roll of material and sew in place.

TRIM is optional. A fringed strip of bright material can be placed over the back, or tassels may be sewn on. Rickrack, little bells, ribbons or beads naturally give the toy a more festive, circus-like appearance.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxsorry
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006 08:20:21 PM »

aw, sweet!! i made a monkey.....time to make an elephant!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"School is practice for the future, and practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, so why practice?"  --Billie Joe Armstrong

"I have a message for all the kids out there: I didn't complete high school, and I'm very rich very successful." --Tre Cool
lalalibertine

philly craft stylez

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006 08:33:22 PM »

i love this!! my fiance's mom made me a sock monkey last christmas. i will have to show this to her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Crochet Rainbow Scarf
Let it Snow!
Meatless Monday: Cauliflower Spinach Puree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...