A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
332 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: velvet and lace ballet shoes  (Read 13272 times)
Tags for this thread: ballet_flats  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cutout
« on: September 02, 2005 11:43:22 AM »

I had a pair of pretty red ballet shoes that I wore to absolute death, due to my having man-sized feet and thereby no other women's shoes. You can't really see in the picture but the fronts of them were totally torn and scuffed, and they had a spectacular amount of London dirt on them, despite being washed several times. Even I, tramp that I am, could no longer get away with wearing them without the mockery of my friends. So I decided to cover them.

I drafted a pattern from the shoe (centre), cut it out of grey velvet, and just glued it onto the shoe with copydex, which stinks like rotting fish.

Then I added lace at the back to cover that ugly seam, and little bows and buttons to the front. Because I recently decided I ought to become more ladylike, and because without it they looked like big ol' slippers.

Those are the only pictures I have, it's hard to photograph your own feet well!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005 11:52:30 AM by cutout » THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyingkai
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005 12:53:34 PM »

they're ADORABLE! and a great way to save/recycle awesome shoes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Measure twice, cut once--
cutout
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005 12:58:53 PM »

Thanks! The only problem is the insides, which are still really dirty and kind of cracking- but I can't cover them, because I can't neatly get into the toe part! So I just gotta hope they'll hold up. Heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spelf
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005 01:16:08 PM »

they look adorable! I wish I had some like that!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh I feel so delightfully white trash! Mommy, I want a mullet!

www.myspace.com/spelf
x____biteme
dang im cool!

<33 sexy bitch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005 11:22:36 PM »

beautiful...reminds me of a post i bookmarked a few weeks ago... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want a perfect body
I want a perfect soul

-- Radiohead "Creep"
bananagoatfish
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005 10:22:25 AM »

were the original shoes actually ballet shoes or were they ballet type shoes? i have a pair of actual ballet shoes that i wear round the house and am looking for a way to make the soles more hardwearing for outdoor wear... any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IceCreamCone
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005 11:09:50 AM »

What a great idea - I think I love the new look better than the old (especially with the cute lace bows!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cutout
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005 02:40:51 AM »

Thanks everyone!

bananagoatfish: they weren't real ballet shoes, just ballet-type shoes, so they had rubber soles. As for strengthening soles of real ballet shoes, you could buy some thick leather and cut out sole shapes- one for the inside, and one for the outside. Then either glue them on with hardcore glue (I did a shoe making course where we did this, and used some special industrial glue, but I forget the name- you could probably use araldite or rubber cement or something?) or, if you have a strong sewing machine, sew them in. Should make it quite a bit sturdier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gopoundsand
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005 02:57:40 PM »

delicious. aww too cute  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananagoatfish
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005 12:42:04 PM »

thanks cutout, i think i'll give that a go, i love the fact with ballet shoes you can get dylon for leather and just make them any colour too... yippee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady E

I'm too young to die!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005 01:04:31 PM »

Those are gorgeous!  I love them!  Cheesy

I also can relate to the man-sized feet thing.  What size do you wear?  I thought my size 11s were bad until a couple of months ago when I ran into a childhood friend I hadn't seen since childhood whose feet grew to size 15!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cutout
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005 03:29:33 PM »

I'm in the UK, so here I wear a size 8, which is like a Euro size 42. I know US sizes are bigger numbers, but I don't know how much! 8's technically the largest size women's shoes are made in, but they tend to make one pair which sells immediately, leaving millions of 5s and 6s, and filling me with rage.

Also: Holy crap, size 15 feet! My dad's american and I know his shoe size there is a 16, and seriously, his flip flops look like desert islands. I am so so grateful that mine aren't that big, and that I'm not any taller either! Man.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lady E

I'm too young to die!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005 12:46:20 PM »

I wear a Euro 42, myself, so we must be about the same.  What a pain in the....!  Ahh well, I suppose one could say that it makes us enjoy what we do have more than those of average sized hooves.

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cadillac.tramp
Born to Lose, Destined to Fail.

With a Golden Heart comes a Rebel Fist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007 04:20:44 AM »

They're so classy and lady like.  And very pritty, I love the bows.  Great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.

www.myspace.com/xboondockxsaintx
sprinklez
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007 08:52:29 AM »

So cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007 07:17:16 PM »

They look so pretty! And much less like slippers Smiley
Do I spy mother-of-pearl?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliebelly123
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007 08:34:07 PM »

Really cute!!!! Amazing job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
nikkic26
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017 03:16:25 PM »

I had a pair of pretty red ballet shoes that I wore to absolute death, due to my having man-sized feet and thereby no other women's shoes. You can't really see in the picture but the fronts of them were totally torn and scuffed, and they had a spectacular amount of London dirt on them, despite being washed several times. Even I, tramp that I am, could no longer get away with wearing them without the mockery of my friends. So I decided to cover them.

I drafted a pattern from the shoe (centre), cut it out of grey velvet, and just glued it onto the shoe with copydex, which stinks like rotting fish.

Then I added lace at the back to cover that ugly seam, and little bows and buttons to the front. Because I recently decided I ought to become more ladylike, and because without it they looked like big ol' slippers.

Those are the only pictures I have, it's hard to photograph your own feet well!

OH HUN! i have the same problem with my feet! i am 6'1" and have a size 12 (usa size) women's foot! i can only buy my shoes at Payless Shoes Source, and even then there selection is minimal.  but i still manage to find something cute. you should check them out online if you dont have a store where you are. they go up to a size 13 (usa size) i think on there web sight. but anyway...you did amazing job! you should be very proud of your self. and i know this is going to sound weird but you should also be proud of your big feet. they are your pedestal to your beautiful body!!!!

this should be a featured project!!!!!

nikki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

☆.**`.Nikki.**`.☆
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...