A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,277
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 90
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: panta! (from a finnish pattern).  (Read 298183 times)
Tags for this thread: headband , pattern , panta , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

urraca
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2005 10:50:11 AM »

The original pattern calls for a yarn that calls for a size 5 needle. I think the average worsted weight yarn calls for a seven.

I am surprised no one has pointed so far (14 pages!) that size 5 needles probables mean 5mm needles (US8) since the original pattern was reportedly a Finnish one translated into Brazilian Portuguese and both Finns and Brazilians use the metric system (as the rest of the world does).

I never got to see the original pattern (it was already down where I first came across the thread). Since you translated it, can you confirm it is meant for US 5 (i.e. you did translate the needles size from one system to another) or was it 5mm (size 5 in metric system countries usually means 5mm)?

5mm (US8) makes more sense than US 5 (3.75mm). Besides I just came across the pattern on Drops website and they use 4.5mm (US 7).

Maybe you and melosond should correct that on your translation/rewriting of the pattern. Not that this mistake has stopped anyone from knitting the headband...  Wink

Urraca
Churras con merinas [fr]
Tertulia madrilea de punto [es]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Churras con merinas (my blog in French)
Ibrica de punto (my website in Spanish - in construction)
urraca
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2005 10:55:29 AM »

I haven't gone through all the new posts lately, so if this was mentionned already, I apologize.  I saw the pattern in the pattern book Drops 86.  It has many other great patterns.

It is available on-line too on Drops website in Swedish, in Danish and in Norwegian.

The pattern calls for 4.5mm (US 7) needles and a 18 st x 23 r gauge, for those who wondered.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 10:57:03 AM by urraca » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Churras con merinas (my blog in French)
Ibrica de punto (my website in Spanish - in construction)
LadySpankington
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2005 11:37:23 AM »

I knit mine on size US 5s. I realized that they might have meant 5 mm, but I chose to use US 5s to make it a tighter knit. I have knit 3 pantas so far and have found that it seriously stretches and I figured that if you used the larger needles that it would stretch more and that the stitches themselves would look distorted.

That being said, here's my newest Panta!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2005 11:40:12 AM »

oh it showed up this time.  That's pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nixx
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2005 02:20:58 PM »

5mm (US8) makes more sense than US 5 (3.75mm). Besides I just came across the pattern on Drops website and they use 4.5mm (US 7).

i had actually just started the pattern on #8's because i don't own #5's. Wink  thanks for posting the gauge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ford, you're turning into a penguin.  Stop it.
--
www.uber-dork.net ; www.myspace.com/nikkirawr
tinytallgirl
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2005 05:26:23 PM »

I used size 5-US and mine turned out just fine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
ctgirl
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2005 07:03:21 PM »

I oringinally knit mine on US 8's and it was too big and sort floppy so I redid it using US 5's and it is much better.  Here's a pic of mine.....I love them on everyone else, my I think it looks stupid on myself.  But it is going to be great on my cold morning commute.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Qwerty
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2005 07:28:19 PM »

I oringinally knit mine on US 8's and it was too big and sort floppy so I redid it using US 5's and it is much better.  Here's a pic of mine.....I love them on everyone else, my I think it looks stupid on myself.  But it is going to be great on my cold morning commute.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/ctgirl/craftster/panta.jpg

that color goes really nicely with your eyes!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011 01:34:10 PM by jungrrl - Reason: please remove img tags when quoting » THIS ROCKS   Logged

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2005 07:55:01 PM »

so what pattern is everyone using? ilsa's or melosond's? I'm just wondering which one is better to go by...like how easy it is, and just wondering what the majority of everyone here is using as their pattern. And what does "llama" mean on melosond's version?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
box of purls
« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2005 08:56:22 PM »

ctgirl yours is the same color is mine! 

humblestumble the llama in the pattern means the length between increases and decreases.  I think I went by melosonds version more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 90 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...