A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's Thrifty!  (Read 5640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
nerdyartist
« on: September 01, 2005 12:21:13 PM »

What thrift stores do you find the best material at?

Personally, I have had great luck at one in O'Fallon off of Sonderen. (United something-something...)

Fairly recently my fiance and I found a 50s-ish bedroom set for 35 bucks...but who uses things as they were made anymore?! We turned the large dresser into a buffet for our dining room, took the mirror off the back, painted it black and hung it on a wall.

We love exploring thrift stores...which ones do you love?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ExtremeSpiff
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005 01:15:41 PM »

Salvation Army in St. Charles was great, they had a lot of sheets that I bought to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallonmyknife
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005 11:51:44 AM »

value village on watson (in webster/shrewsbury) great bags full of stuff and usually a lot of 70s type clothes that can be transformed, cut up, whatever...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HtPnkKttn
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005 12:04:45 PM »

I can't remember what the name is but its on St. Charles Rock Road close to NW Plaza...They have Fabula finds Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tivaclare
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005 11:54:04 AM »

I live on the other side of the river, but I've found the best thrift store to be the ones not run by the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I always find the coolest things and lowest prices in the stores run by little church groups or animal rescue services.

There's a shop in Belleville, IL that is very cheap and has a huge sewing section full of all sorts of fabrics, notions, etc. I got brand new zippers there for 10 cents each.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Danyell
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005 09:32:45 AM »

I live on the other side of the river, but I've found the best thrift store to be the ones not run by the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I always find the coolest things and lowest prices in the stores run by little church groups or animal rescue services.

There's a shop in Belleville, IL that is very cheap and has a huge sewing section full of all sorts of fabrics, notions, etc. I got brand new zippers there for 10 cents each.

What is the name of this store!??!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamshistoric
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006 04:28:18 AM »

I second that question about the belleville store! My favorite thrift store was in Washington, but it recently went out of business and now I'm lost and alone  Cry

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TishaLee

I had an idea.....once

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006 01:23:25 AM »

I have found some cool craft stuff, clothes, and wood items (that I re-paint and decorate for my own purposes) at Mom's re-sale out in O'Fallon; they always have a dollar section.  The week before Christmas they were in the process of moving and I got many, many items for $1.00 and saved massive amounts of dollars and they do have a section of arts/craft books and materials.  The new store, that I just visited a couple of days ago has an entire backroom of $1.00 items.  It is off hwy. 70 on hwy K, on Veteran's Memorial Drive. 
Also the Goodwill Boutique has moved from Mid-Rivers Mall Drive off of SueMandy to a location in O'Fallon that is, as far as I know, not opened yet, according to the Goodwill on West Clay and Droste in St. Charles City proper. The Goodwill stores seem high on some items but low on others; I just pick and choose!
There is also Leftovers, which I have yet to check out, on Hwy 94 off of hwy 70, which is supposed to have many items for crafters and teachers and many people that bring in items that would end up in a landfill, some from industries that regularly bring 'good junk' in to be used by artists, teachers, and crafters.  My understanding is that everything is free, but I have not checked into it yet.  TishaLee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whose bright idea was this anyway?  I said burn all your bridges, not blow them up!  Jeez!
craftygalinstl
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006 06:53:59 AM »

Hi, I am new here.  Looks like a great board.  I love the United Volunteers shop on Sonderen.  Do you know of any others near O Fallon?  I haven't been to the new Goodwill, because I know that I would be there for hours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006 08:52:28 AM »

You might want to try to call Leftovers before you go...the one that was on Gravois just up & closed one day with seemingly no warning...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...