A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,811
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting with Polarfleece  (Read 1046 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

hrhacissej
« on: April 19, 2004 07:44:54 AM »

I'm looking for information (website, book, class) on how to knit with polarfleece.  I overheard someone at a knitting convention talking about this but I wasn't interested at the time and didn't pay any attention.

Well, now I'm kicking myself.

Any suggestions as to width of cut fabric, needle size, possible glitches would be much appreciated!
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004 08:46:36 AM »

hmm, I've played with polar fleece a bit, but haven't tried knitting with it.  I think you'd want to use big needles (US13+) so that you don't have to cut the fleece too thin.  I'd suggest trying to find a remnant or even just buying the smallest possible length of fleece and then experimenting with how narrow you can cut it and what direction to cut it in.  I know that fleece stretches more in one direction than the other (horizontal vs. vertical) and I think if you cut it in really thin strips the wrong direction it will just come apart.  So here's what I'd do:
get a small piece (but the whole selvedge to selvedge width so that you know which direction is which)
cut a thin strip selv. to selv.  and pull on it to see if it comes apart.
cut another strip the sideways direction and repeat.  
if they both come apart, try thicker strips.
you should be ok with 1/4" thick strips, since that's about what people use for fringing.

Good luck with this - it seems like you'd get a really neat result, but it also seems like all that cutting will be a lot of work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004 05:45:56 PM »

If it is the general look of polarfleece that you're after, Sirdar makes some yarns that really resemble polarfleece when knitted up.  Same "squeak". One of them is "Snowflake" another is a low-pile version and I can't recall the name -
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005 05:55:08 AM »

I'm now looking for instructuions, too. A girl came into the store (I sometimes work in a fabric store and we also sell yarn) and told me it's so easy and you can make 3 hats out of less than a yard of fleece. This is what she said to do. Fold your fabric (the fleece) so it's selvedge to selvedge. Now cut your selvedges off. On the fold, cut up to the raw edges but stop a half inch before you get there. Each cut should be a half inch apart. Then when you open it up you cut along that fold a bit to make a long consecutive piece of fleece "yarn". She said many people round off the pointy corners before they knit. I don't know what size needles tho and what type of hat pattern to use. I guess I'll just wing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
gwensmom
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005 06:27:27 AM »

A few years ago I saw good instructions for this in a booklet put out by Hancock Fabrics.  I'll see if I still have it when I get home.

They had a really cute hat with a cuff made out of knitted polar fleece and the rest sewn out of the same polar fleece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005 06:27:48 AM »

My mother knitted this scarf and it came out really nice.

http://joanns.com/content/projects/projectsDisplay.jhtml;$sessionid$T2JBORAAANIQEP4SY5LRHOR50LD3UEPO?articlePath=%2Fcontent%2Fprojects%2Fstatic%2Fnew%2Fknitted_fleece_scarf.jhtml&CATID=25293

hmmm that link doesn't work

try knitted fleece scarf on the Joann project page, it's there.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005 06:31:15 AM by ilovepaper » THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005 08:30:20 AM »

My mother knitted this scarf and it came out really nice.

http://joanns.com/content/projects/projectsDisplay.jhtml;$sessionid$T2JBORAAANIQEP4SY5LRHOR50LD3UEPO?articlePath=%2Fcontent%2Fprojects%2Fstatic%2Fnew%2Fknitted_fleece_scarf.jhtml&CATID=25293

hmmm that link doesn't work

try knitted fleece scarf on the Joann project page, it's there.

For some reason I couldn't find it on the joann page when i searched, but i copy/pasted the entire url (all 3 thousand characters!) in your post and it came up. 

So cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Quilted Scissors Cozy
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Brigaderios

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...