A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,818
Currently Running With Scissors:
239 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yarn substitutions?  (Read 761 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

kashmir
« on: August 25, 2005 06:33:14 PM »

ok all you expert knitters out there I need some help, I am fairly skilled at knitting but am horrible at knowing which yarns substitute Sad
I REALLY want to make the anouk pattern on knittys site but was wondering if there were some cheaper yarns I could use, I was thinking maybe lion brand cotton ease? Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I intended to be."
starlings
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005 07:02:43 PM »

I think cotton ease would be a pretty good substitute. You may have to fiddle with the needle size a bit. I think Pima Cotton has a slight sheen that cotton ease lacks, and the cotton ease may make a slighty warmer garment, but besides that, they're pretty comparable. Plus the Cotton Ease version would be easier to clean.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassoet
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006 08:53:05 AM »

I'm knitting it now, and I'm still using Cascade, instead of Pima Tencel it is Sierra (recommended by my LYS). It's knitting up rather nicely. Too bad I don't understand the pattern for the shoulders!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Balki
amey
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006 03:11:27 PM »

Do you know about http://www.yarndex.com?  You can look up the yarn listed and then search for other yarns with the same gauge (or composition or other .  It won't weed out dissimilar yarns (so you'll still find fun furs and other novelty yarns in the list), but it can be helpful. 

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Vanilla Spice Nut Mix
Meatless Monday: Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...