A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is super awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 314,032
Currently Running With Scissors:
253 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: protocal for charitable crafting  (Read 1748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Aunt Beep

Aunt Beep loves you!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2004 12:23:39 PM »

Hi y'all,
I'm working with a designer on a piece for Breast Cancer.  We're really excited about it, but I want to make sure I present it in the right way, using the right steps (if there are any).
Questions:
1) do any of you notify the charity you'll be donating to prior to your sales?
2) are there forms you should use to register an item that you'll be selling with proceeds going to a charitable cause
3) has anyone sold a charitable item in quantity/wholesale to a charity 'boutique'?
4) am I over-thinking the whole thing?

also, anyone have a fave breast cancer org they've worked with in the past?  I'm espicially interested in local groups in outhern California..

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.auntbeep.com
An online boutique & gallery showcasing fresh, talented Los Angeles designers and artists.
moonlyte
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004 08:19:48 AM »

Definitely let the organization know what you are planning to do.  Some may actually forbid it (ie Make-A-Wish foundation will accept money no matter how you raise it but they do not allow you to use their name while raising the money, I know this from experience.  I raised $2000 for them but they would not allow me to put their name on the items....).  Others may happily endorse it and help you with everything you need to know about doing it the right way!  So be sure to let them know!  Grin Hope this helps! Moonlyte
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spydermum
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004 07:35:23 PM »

Ditto what moonlyte said. Definitely notify the group you are raising funds for. Often you run into an organization that won't allow you to use their name but will happily take the money raised. Other times you will run into an organization that embraces your efforts and is willing to maximize your success by helping to promote it. I prefer working with the latter because I know they actually will use the funds well. You will also need to find out regulations in your specific area because if you earn over a certain amount you can at times be considered a business instead of a fundraiser, etc. I've learned a lot with my recent endeavor for Neph Cure http://www.art4change.com and the Art Doll Angel Project and am still learning, but would be happy to discuss what I have learned with you if you pm or email me. But, don't let the logistics of it cause you to give up your charitable spirit!!

Sincerely,
Lauri Jean
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.art4change.com - Save Kidneys, Save Lives
Aunt Beep

Aunt Beep loves you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004 09:28:00 AM »

Thanks for the advice and the encouragment!!
I may be PM'ing you...I didn't even thing about regulations...how often do you send in a check?  To you have to send them a receipt of what you sold, or is it basically the honor system??

Thanks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.auntbeep.com
An online boutique & gallery showcasing fresh, talented Los Angeles designers and artists.
Spydermum
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004 01:15:08 PM »

I do the payments to the charity quarterly. For example, I donate a certain amount for each of my eBay auctions/store items that sells. Then I just paypal a payment directly. When my sonmade a bunch of angel pins he made $49 and we just sent the payment when they had sold. It all depends on what you're doing. For me, I decided on quarterly as I am working with just the NephCure Foundation and it makes accounting simpler for me. I do keep records of what comes in, costs to list and shipping, etc. just like you would a business because it makes things smoother -- and I often use my craft/art business as a venue for selling them so need to keep it seperated out in case of a tax audit. I know others who just use the honor system and don't keep records. Problem is, without records you could always get audited and have to pay taxes on all of that -- which would defeat the whole purpose. Do contact me, if you do enough you may want to do your own non-profit so you can deduct all auction expenses, etc. I am looking into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.art4change.com - Save Kidneys, Save Lives
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...